Brine shrimp wont hatch

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
Hey all i just got new brine shrimp eggs the other day
so i put aquarium salt and water in an empty water jug, plugged in an air bubbler, and added a capful of eggs and let it sit at 62 degrees in my basement
the eggs have sunk and several white specks r in the middle of the water but its been 2 days and no real action has occurred
could the water not be salty enough? could it be too cold? i doubt the eggs r the issue since they r new

I had partial hatching at 63f after 2 days. 76-86 worked OK, 79-82 is the Goldilocks spot. Get a 2L bottle set up. About 1.25l of water in it and a 7.5 watt heater. Gets you 79-82 depending on ambient temps.

I am having similar problems but I have had enough to at least feed them once a day( I would rather feed twice) anymore axolotls and I would have a dilema.

I am thinking its the temperature as I amdoin everything the same as last time, but the temperature is a lot lower.

I dont have a heater for the water so I put one of those electric portable heaters facing the bbs, its brought the temp over 70F so heres hoping I get more tomorow. If not I may need to cave in and get a heater.

Mike pretty much said what I was going to say. It sometimes takes time to perfect it but you will get it, hang in there. I know when I first set up my first two batches did not turn out very well but after some trial and error I've now nearly got it to perfection. A heat light speeds it up and yields many more in less amount of time. I don't use a pop bottle tho, I use a square bottom juice jug, I find it circulates better and there is no "neck" for anything to get trapped in.

This the type of jug I use, and it sits upright, you can either cut the neck off or not. I find this jug yields way more then a 2 litre pop bottle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 418
Oh and for heat and light if you can get your hands on a lava lamp it works wonders. I took the lava glass out and just lay the base with bulb on it's side facing the bottle.

Warm it up, try and get the bubbles right down to the base. The bubbles should keep the water circulating so that the eggs can't settle.

I set up a new hatchery using kosher salt.
I have it under a heat lamp and the bottom of the water is about 74 degrees.
Surface is warmer.
Wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
got them to hatch
kosher salt and a heat lamp work well
thanx everyone

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back