How deep is too deep?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
I've moved my 7cm lotls into a big 60L tub as I'm going camping for a week and don't trust my mother to do proper water changes. They were in a 10L tank and the nitrates would get close to 40 in a few days (my big tank is usually at 10) and do not want them to live in dirty water. The water level is about 25cm high is it too much for them? I feel like it's so deep, I know they can reach the top but do you think it would make them feel uncomfortable?

Might be a silly question but I've never raised axolotls so little before.

Well axies in the wild would be in a lake, so i dont think water depth would be a problem, but if you feel uncomfortable just have it maybe 6-7" deep and that will do, do you have a sponge filter in there?

Oh yeah they have a filter in there the nitrates get high because I work, so I have to dump bloodworms and leave and won't be back until 5-8 hours :( so it fouls the water a bit but dw it's never been on 40 yet and definitely not over :). They have a filter, a fan and plenty of ice bottles in the fridge.

I never really thought about them in their natural habitat that's a good point. I was just curious if they feel that pressure we feel when we go too deep in the water, since they have lungs too.

You could buy a sh*t load of daphnia to last whilst your away instead, they will just live in the water until they are eaten :D
Probs best for keeping your water cleaner anyway if you get a culture going hehe

The only problem with daphnia is they get sucked into the filter. And bloodowrms never last long enough to foul the water in my tanks - they get gobbled up to quick!

If you do a big water change before you go they should be fine - I put my little ones into a 60L with about that depth and they had no trouble getting to the surface.

Oh i only had a sponge filter with my babies, so no sucking up hehe :D

If you do a big water change before you go they should be fine - I put my little ones into a 60L with about that depth and they had no trouble getting to the surface.

Yeah I was planning on doing a big water change before I left, it's so cute seeing them explore around in such a big tank. :D

Thanks for your input!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back