Illness/Sickness: All gone bar one......

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Dipsy
I don't understand what happened :confused:....yesterday I had 16 healthy young hatchlings....get home from work today and only one baby is left alive :(....ALL the others have died :(.

This is my 2nd batch of babies, I have 6 largish healthy ones from the 1st batch, and have looked after this 2nd batch in the same way.

Am soooooo sad tonight.

Have no idea what went wrong.

Im sorry to hear this :(

Hmm has your tap water suddenly changed or did you wait longer between changing them to clean tubs ect?
Its a little unusual for them all to suddenly die barring one, perhaps you can figure out what changed, have you tested your tap water?

Hi Layna,

I wasn't using tap water, I used the water from the parents tank, just as I have been for the older babies (about 10 days older than the new batch) and all has been going well.

The water parameters in the parent tank all read normal, so not really sure what happened.

Timing wise I changed the water about an hour later than I have been but I wouldn't have thought that would have made a massive difference.

Am paranoid now and check my other babies as often as I can....if I see any "weirdness" going on in their swimming etc I'll be swiftly cleaning and changing the water again. I also have 4 litres of tap water, dechlorinated and ready for use.

All crossed the survivor will continue to thrive...he's still with me tonight.

Oh no - I'm sorry.

I had that when mine were about 2 weeks old - half of them just died for no apparrent reason. Sad, but you now have to put your efforts inot the ones you still have.

Oh no - I'm sorry.

I had that when mine were about 2 weeks old - half of them just died for no apparrent reason. Sad, but you now have to put your efforts inot the ones you still have.

I will auntiejude, 100% effort.....it's sad but I guess I'll never know if it was just a cruel twist of nature or if it was something I did wrong. I'd love to see them start getting their little arms and legs and to be able to see a definite colour in them. It's times like this I wish I had a better camera.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back