Question: New axololt owner

imnes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
imNES;
Hi, I'm new to owning Axoltols... and I just have a question about a film that seems to be covering the walls of my tank.
It also seems to be clogging my filter.

Can anyone inform me of what this is and how i can get rid of it?

Thank you!

20140112_211337.jpg

I can't see the picture clearly enough to identify. However to get rid of it I would suggest turning the filter off, scraping the sides with a glass cleaner (razor blade or the magnetic fish tank cleaners), allow it to settle, and siphon it out with water change and then turn the filter back on.

Do you have a dechlorinator with aloe in it?Sometimes if the right amounts arent used it can cause excess aloe.
Do you have an airstone? Sometimes if the water is still and the surface isnt being broken then a film can appear on top of the water.
Does your filter break the surface of the water? Same as above, the water needs to be moving/surface broken.
Have you cycled the tank?
Or algae could be growing haha, i cant see the pic clearly enough to decide but these are some reasons 'films' have appeared in tanks :D

Looks like algae - usual cause is high nitrates. Check your water parmeters.

Hayleys got the solution - wipe if off, syphon it out and keep an eye out for more.

awesome thanks guys... so I just finished doing exactly that!

I also realized there was a lot of uneaten food underneath my decorative piece for them to hide under maybe this was also contributing to the build up?

if it is algae is it harmful to my axolotls?

Yes, uneaten food will contribute to the nitrate build up. The rotting food produces ammonia, which is then turned into nitrites and nitrates by the bacteria in your filter. These are harmful to your axies in high concentrations.

Ironically, the algae itslef is harmelss - but it's an indicator of a bigger problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back