Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Coming up on a month old, what food to move to?

usafaux2004

Reaction score
I'm running low on BBS, so I'm thinking it's time to move onto other foods.

What should I try first? Anyone have a good Online source for ordering it?

emmyk

Reaction score
How large are they? The next step up is generally blood worms

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

usafaux2004

Reaction score
I'm going to get some measurements tomorrow, but most well over 1", some I'd say 1.5", rear leg buds showing.

Edit: did a quick measurement on my largest ones: 1.75"/4.45CM

auntiejude

Reaction score
Can you get frozen bloodworms in your LFS? Chopped up bloodwrom is a good option, as is live daphnia.

I found whole bloodworm an issue to start with, I think the baies couldn't smell it, but chopping it up obviously releases smell into the water, and then they'll happily move onto whole ones when they are a bit bigger.

auntiejude

Reaction score
You just chop at them with scissors! I don't think you could measure them.
The trick is to just cut them up a bit without turning them into mush.

usafaux2004

Reaction score
At 1.5-1.75" long, how much should I feed them, roughly? I have 9 tubs. 2 with single axies, one with my "twin" pair, and the other 6 have 3-4 axies each.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Start with one cube (of frozen bloodworm) between 4 of them, if they eat it all yo can give them second helpings! I'm sure that was about what mine had at that size. (Mine are now 12 weeks, 4" and on one cube each a day)

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Wildlite baby eating bloodworms:
IMG_4182.jpg

Spot (the one with a "light" in its elongated eye):
IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

The wildlite in the middle looks red because its in the middle of the worms. As soon as it moved, it looked normal again:
IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Spot again:
IMG_4191.jpg

The golden twin, the gills have separated...the middle one is short, but growing, the top one is still bent 90 degree to the front, and extra long!
IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

usafaux2004

Reaction score
3rd day of bloodworms went well. Lots of dark bellies.

Today they will get BBS and Bloodworms again. Then I think I only have enough BBS for one more day.

Today is 1 month 1 day after hatching.

I did notice that 2-3 axis are real small, just over 1", but all 26 have front and rear legs growing, so they don't seem to be environmentally different from the almost 2" monsters, just genetically slow glowers?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I did notice that 2-3 axis are real small, just over 1", but all 26 have front and rear legs growing, so they don't seem to be environmentally different from the almost 2" monsters, ?
Yeah, just like any other set of siblings, some grow faster or slower, some are just bigger or smaller.
At 12 weeks 9 of mine are over 4" and 3 are smaller - maybe 3-3.5", and one is barely 3".

2" at ~5 weeks is good going :)

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Day 4 bloodworms and BBS.

Last batch of BBS cooking. I'm doing it every other day, so they will get BBS on day 6 of bloodworms for the last time. They are still very interested in BBS, but devour the bloodworms now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1