Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: No weight gain, tail curled, black substance on skin? (photos)

bels

Reaction score
Hey all, I made a post a few months back regarding an axolotl I'd adopted from a classmate. When she came to me she was underweight and generally looked pretty under the weather, after setting up her tank and getting things stabilized she's been doing well and is a lovely little axolotl.

Water conditions have all been tested, regular cleaning and feeding is being done, water temperature averages at 20C, on warmer days can reach up to 24C and in those cases ice is used to lower the temperature. At the moment she's happily eating crickets (completely dismembered) as she refuses to eat worms and isn't showing any interest in frozen food or pellets.

The main issue I'd like to find some answers on is this strange dark stuff that seems to be collecting on her, mainly on her stomach but there's some small bits on her back, tail and around her mouth. It seems to rub off easily but I can't find a single thing on what it could be. This is along with her tail being noticeably curved and lack of weight gain despite regular feeding, and we're pretty concerned about her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• axl1.png
    axl1.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 534
  • axl2.png
    axl2.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 794
E

Elise

Bels, You need to contact a vet. I've looked at your other posts and can tell his weight loss has been gradual so you may not realize how emaciated he currently is. The constant weight loss due to regular feeding could be worms/protozoa/parasites and a vet would be able to run tests to find out. I don't mean to alarm you but at the stage he is, his recovery should be taken very seriously.

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
With your worm eating problem, have you tried boiling your worms before you feed them? my guys spit them out if they are alive as the produce a fowl tasting protective coat when under attack apparently. Boiling them has always worked for me as long as my axis are healthy.

I agree though, this little guy needs to be looked over by a vet. If you don't find out what's wrong with it I'm afraid it will die. Gills are very short, skinny, the black stuff.. I'd take him/her in as soon as possible. Good luck!!

auntiejude

Reaction score
I'd also advocate a trip to the vet. That is one very unhappy axie.

Crickets are not a staple food, she's malnourished and very skinny. If the black stuff comes off it may be just plain old dirt that she is too weak to shake off, and her slime coat may be lacking. It could also be an infection - she needs a vet.

layna

Reaction score
Alongside a trip to the vets, try to get her to eat some waxworms or some some black worms, she needs to get her weight up urgently!
Crickets wont be doing her any good atm, theyre not nutritionally the best and you say she wont eat live earthworms, so if you try boiling them and it still doesnt work stick with waxworms/bloodworms :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1