Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Baby Axolotls got heat shocked. Anything I can do?

RAHHHHB

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm new to axolotl raising and I had a bunch that were doing well and about 6 weeks old (3cm in length). I was cleaning out their tanks and had a friend help out. Unfortunately he put them in water that was a bit too hot (water from the tap). They were only in the water for about 30 seconds before I realized and put them in cold water. They seemed to be fried at first but after a few hours they started to slowly move. I thought they'd be okay because they were responsive for a day or so but now they have stopped moving again! I can see the hearts beating on them since they are white-GFP axies. Is there anything I can do to help these little guys out. I feel absolutely terrible :(. Thanks in advanced for your help!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to help these little guys out.
Kick your friend up the **** and don't let him 'help' any more!

You've done thr right thing in cooling them down, but I think only time will tell now. Offer them food, but don't be surprised if they don't for a few days. Keep your eye out for fungus, changes are their slime coast got affected even if their major organs didn't.

Just out of curiosity, any idea exactly what the temperature was?

RAHHHHB

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, any idea exactly what the temperature was?

Unfortunately I have no clue how hot the tap gets. It didn't feel extremely hot to my touch but I know the little guys don't like anything that is too warm at all.

Fortunately i still have a tank with a few guys that I changed myself and are doing fine (2 wild type and 2 whites), so I still have some little ones to grow up, but I'm still kicking myself for not watching my friend more closely. Lesson learned - From now on only I take care of water changes or friends read up on axie care as much as I have. I've read that you can put the adults in the fridges to help them out, is this true for little ones as well?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I wouldn't put tiny ones in the fridge - and it's not indicated for this anyway.. Keep them cool - maybe 12-15C if you can.

RAHHHHB

Reaction score
Thanks so much AuntieJude! I was really attached to one of the little ones that got fried so i'm really hoping it survives. I'll update soon, hopefully good news!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1