Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with feeding axolotls

tracey11

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I took on 2 adults about a week ago they were in a 2 ft tank I have brought them a new tank 3 1/2 ft and a new filter but i am having trouble feeding them thier previous owner said they were fed on prawns and frozen bloodworm with the prawns they will sometimes eat them but then they spit most of them out I have tried different sizes and with the bloodworm she said she used to wait for the blocks to melt a bit then give them to them but i read they couldn't have them frozen but how do you get the bloodworm to them when defrosted as they will only eat if hand fed please help x

HayleyK

Reaction score
Forget the blood worms and prawns (prawns are salty and should be used as a treat). Switch them to earthworms.

They could still be stressed with the move just keep trying. Or leave the blood worms in a jar they can access.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Prawns are too salty, bloodworms are too small for adults.

Earthworms are best, just dangle a worm in front of an axie and it will gulp it down.

tracey11

Reaction score
hi thanks for your advice i will try the worms thanks again

ChrisMaggs

Reaction score
Mine do like their pinkies mind and crickets!
Struggling to find any earthworms at the moment. Can anyone recommend and good place to buy some? Possibly with a view on breeding :-D

Edit : Just found this a little further down the New Posts :)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showt...arming - almost everything you need to know.

Chris

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

tracey11

Reaction score
hi just tried some earthworms and your right they gulped them up thanks again by the way sill question but can they choke on them and i just ordered some off ebay x

HayleyK

Reaction score
Pinkies? As in what you feed to snakes? Baby mice/rats are not a suitable food source at all for an axolotls. I would stop feeding them pinkies ASAP

auntiejude

Reaction score
Some online resources advocate the occasional pinky (baby mouse) for large axies, but I believe they are in the same category as beef heart - not suitable. But if you consider the wild environment it is quite possible that a large axie (15") would take a small mammal that fell into the water.

@Tracey11 - since axies don't breathe the same way as we do they can't choke as such. But if your axie can't take a whole worm in one go or seems to have trouble swallowing a whole one you can cut it in half with scissors.
You would also do well to set up a little worm farm for food here's how.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1