Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I be concerned?

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Sheldon has had Knicks here and there before but he's never had one that's bled. I noticed this two days ago, it looks bloody. He doesn't seem bothered by it but thought I'd ask in case there is anything I should be doing for him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 222

HayleyK

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for fungus. I would do tea baths to soothe and heal. Also finding the culprit and removing it from the tank.

E

Elise

It happens to mine on occasion. The abrasions like the one shown are pretty much gone in three days. The slice of missing caudal fin will take a couple weeks to fill in. These are estimates based on a healthy axolotl, which yours always appear to be.

As far as removing what caused it, good luck. I've had mine injure herself in a pyrex glass container once.

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Thanx, yeah my female who is now by herself, has a bite missing from the end of her tail, I can't understand why she bit herself, unless she was curled up for sleep in her cave and startled herself or maybe she thought she would make a yummy snack? Either way it took a while for one like this to heal and just finished now she has a bite out of the end if her tail. Sigh.....

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Don't worry Lovesheraxies, I panicked the first time I saw a nick on Gally which was bleeding. I still don't know how she did it >.< And I have had owners confirm that their lone axolotl has, in fact, bitten its own tail. Silly wee ourobouruses.

A tea bath will soothe and heal as suggested above, but I didn't do a tea bath and Gally healed just fine :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1