Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's best to keep algae off the class?

RobertW

Reaction score
Hello,
What's best to keep algae off the class? I have been cleaning my class with a class claner all this time and the algae keeping growing back and it's getting to the parts off the class where i can't clean it off.

My tank is a 200 litre with a good filter system, the water flow is very slow moving.
And the lights in the tank is set to very dim as i know they don't like full light.

I do a water change ever week. :D

My tank is divided as my female axolotl was picking on my black male so i had to do something about it at the time.

I have asked at the pet shop about pleco's with axolotl, he told me that pleco is fine in cold water and if the pleco is bigger then the axolotl they will get on well.

But after seeing posts on the web about what you can put with axolotl, some people say don't do it and some people say it will be fine. Some people say water snails are fine too.

What do you all say about this?

I like watching this TV program called Tanked. In one of the episodes they had a axolotl in a tank with tropical fish and i was like how the hell did they do that???

3 Pink kissing gourami and 3 gourami's with a cat fish was in the same tank.

Anybody seen the episode?

Sorry for any spelling errors :D

Thank you

auntiejude

Reaction score
When you say 'glass cleaner' you're referring to a scraper rather than a chemical, right?

DO NOT put a pleco in your axie tank. It is likely to injure your axie. DO NOT try and keep anything other than another axie in an axie tank! Snails are debatable, some types of snail are tolerable, some not. Personally, I wouldn't.

The only things you can really put in an axie tank are food.

If you're getting algae the chances are your nitrates are a little high, check your water paramenters and possibly increase your water changes.

Niels D

Reaction score
Use a scrubber sponge (but gently) to scrub the algae off. Do a small water change afterwards and if you have a small net you can use it to get rid of the floating bits of algae due to the scrubbing. Try to reduce the lightning for a maximum of 2 hours a day. This will be enough for your living plants to survive (not to thrive), but this will help you to decreasing the algae.

You can add small snail species like bladder or pond snails. They do not fight the algae directly, but they eat the waste and there feces will produce less nitrates than the feces of your axies and the dead plant material.

RobertW

Reaction score
Thanks for the help you both.
I will give it ago and see about adding snails to the tank.

Do you know if there is anyway on getting my Axolotls togather as like i put, they are divided as the female keeps picking on the male black Axolotl. She ended up doing my black ones hand in and tale. But now that they are getting bigger and his tale and hand is fine now, i did not know if they can be put together. I did have ago sometime ago and the female ended up doing the something like before. But that was sometime back in 2013.

What do you think about this?

Thank you

Kaini

Reaction score
I like watching this TV program called Tanked. In one of the episodes they had a axolotl in a tank with tropical fish and i was like how the hell did they do that???

3 Pink kissing gourami and 3 gourami's with a cat fish was in the same tank.

Anybody seen the episode?

Sorry for any spelling errors :D

Thank you

Just to address this little bit on the show Tanked; it is a horrible, horrible show and you should not believe anything you see on it.

Never house Axolotl with fish, the fish will nibble off their gills. Also the lotl will eat the fish if they're small enough. Edit: Plus, Tropical tank??? The Axolotl was likely far too warm and died. Lotls need around 16-19 degrees C.

Their tanks on Tanked are almost always horribly overstocked, and everything in it dies shortly after the show leaves the location. I've been to one of the tanks they built months later - nothing living in it. One fish was on its last legs. Because the people they built it for had NO IDEA how to care for the animals and the Tanked people overstocked it to the max.

-

About keeping your lotls together, Axolotls can usually be housed together when they're the same size, and the same size only. What was their size difference when the female was picking on the male?

RobertW

Reaction score
Wow thank you very mush for your help.
I did not know that Tanked where so wrong on it all!

My Axolotls are both the same size and where in the same tank at the pet shop when i got them way back in 2013. They where tiny little things when i first got them and now they are a little bit smaller then my TV remote.

I say right now they are still the same size. :happy:

Kaini

Reaction score
Wow thank you very mush for your help.
I did not know that Tanked where so wrong on it all!

My Axolotls are both the same size and where in the same tank at the pet shop when i got them way back in 2013. They where tiny little things when i first got them and now they are a little bit smaller then my TV remote.

I say right now they are still the same size. :happy:

To clarify they should both be /adults/ and the same size, so if they're mature they can probably be housed together, but I don't know how old yours are. Use your best judgement!

And like the others said, I would recomment against getting a snail.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If your axies are 'smaller than your TV remote' I'm guessing about 6". You can't be sure that they are male and female at that size - or are they bigger?
Anyway, if they are both the same size, and in a 200L tank there shouldn't be too much trouble - axies geneally live together well.

Niels D

Reaction score
I would recomment against getting a snail.

May I ask why? Small species like pond and bladder snails pose no risks for your axolotls, so I'm wondering what could be wrong with adding these species. I only see benefits. I've got over 25 tanks (big plastic containers included) and it's my personal obstervation that tanks do a lot better with snails in them. Of course if it's a combination with live plants. Tanks which have some shrimp or Gammarus in them as well do even better. A lot of keepers have experienced the benefits of snails as well.

Kaini

Reaction score
May I ask why? Small species like pond and bladder snails pose no risks for your axolotls, so I'm wondering what could be wrong with adding these species. I only see benefits. I've got over 25 tanks (big plastic containers included) and it's my personal obstervation that tanks do a lot better with snails in them. Of course if it's a combination with live plants. Tanks which have some shrimp or Gammarus in them as well do even better. A lot of keepers have experienced the benefits of snails as well.

(Ah just noticed my typo in that post, sorry!)

Well it was more of a personal recommendation, (to be taken with a grain of salt) some Axies will try to eat them but it kinda depends on the individual. I just personally wouldn't put anything but Axolotls in my lotl tank.

But hey if others have had good experiences with snails, I don't see why not!

The main point here was that a snail won't fix the OP's algae problem outright. A snail isn't going to clean your tank for you XD

vainglory

Reaction score
I've noticed my axolotl tank doesn't get algae like my goldfish tank. I chalk this up to having no light on ever, but still being in a moderately lit room. The curtains are closed but some filters in anyway. I also have some ghost shrimp, tho I think they do a better job of cleaning up the mess my axies make when they push food out of their bowls. The moss ball and the little sword plant might help too?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!