Another colour question!

texa

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi everyone, wondering if I could get some help colour ID'ing my lotls! I think I have a melanoid and a leucistic- Toothless (I thought that was an original name until I joined the forum haha) is very dark, with what I assume are gold ringed eyes? And Rosie (turned out 'she' is a boy, but hey-ho!) is leucistic with blue ringed eyes. Sometimes his pupil looks like it is slightly red.
Any help would be grand!

I think I attached photos...

Attachments

• P8060036.jpg
    P8060036.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 220
  • P8100049.jpg
    P8100049.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 219
If you have a wider (full body) shot of your dark one it would help, but it would appear that both are melanoid. I think you have a melanoid leucistic and a melanoid wildtype.

If you have a wider (full body) shot of your dark one it would help, but it would appear that both are melanoid. I think you have a melanoid leucistic and a melanoid wildtype.

Are you sure? It looks like they both have the golden iris. I'd say it's just a leucistic and a wildtype.

this is what my melanoid's eyes look like

1077844_10151577533833295_1093279182_o.jpg

I would think it has a golden iris, but I can also definitely see how that could be from the camera. I agree more pics would be helpful.

Here are more pictures to try and help. I find the colour genetics so interesting, I used to breed mice and axolotls are equally as fascinating!

Sorry for the poor photos of Rosie, he's a little shyer. The second picture is Toothless in the petshop before I bought him.... on gravel.

Attachments

• P8060037.jpg
    P8060037.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 205
  • PICT0415.jpg
    PICT0415.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 286
  • PICT0001 (2).jpg
    PICT0001 (2).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 192
have to say, Toothless seems a lot darker now than in the above pictures when he was younger. Rosie also has dark speckles on his head, which have appeared with age.

Attachments

• P1110041.JPG
    P1110041.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 157
I'm still inclined to say melanoid, but it's really hard from photos! The real test is the torch - shine a torch down the axie and look for shiney reflective patches of iridophores. If they're there she's a wildtype, if there are none she's a melanoid.

The leucistic if definately a melanoid - no iridophores around the yeys or down the body. The freckles across his face will come and go, sometimes darker or more of them, sometimes paler or fewer - all normal.

Thank you, I will do a torch test and look for any iridophores. He's an enigma!

Well, the torch test showed he has some very pretty iridophores along his tail and back, which you can't normally see since he's so dark. So looks like I have a wild-type and a melanoid! Thanks everyone for their help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back