Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Legs stuck behind back?

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a long time since I have been on here!

Anyway I am having an issue with my wild type axolotl Bud.
In the last week or so his front legs seem to have seized in an upright position behind his back. This started out as one leg but now the two front legs seem to be effected.
I have looked and am unsure as to what it may be so was hoping somebody could help. Bud has been and continues to eat normally. His tank mate Bob does not seem to be showing any aggression towards him that I have noticed and I see no signs of any new wounds anywhere on his body. Bud is using his back legs to swim and seems to be awkwardly trying to use one of his front legs for balance when needs be. I will attach the best pictures I was able to get at the moment to this post.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Attachments

• DSCF0748_2.JPG
    DSCF0748_2.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 552
  • DSCF0752_2.JPG
    DSCF0752_2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 658
  • DSCF0754_2.JPG
    DSCF0754_2.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCF0757_2.JPG
    DSCF0757_2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 531
  • DSCF0761_2.JPG
    DSCF0761_2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 572

layna

Reaction score
This is very odd, i know axies can turn their legs up to get in small hides or when they are resting ect but not them getting stuck up there.
Do they come down at all?

The only thing i can think is that he has injured the leg, turned it up so as not to walk on it and that its healed in an upright position. But i dont know how likely this is :(

E

Elise

I've seen threads with one leg doing this but I haven't seen a post where both legs are doing this.

The last picture you posted looks as though his spine has a sharp bend. Does it look like this often? Is his spine straight like the axolotl on the right in the image below:
scoliosis02labels.jpg

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

He seems to be able to get his left leg (which was the second to turn upwards) down when he needs to and tries to use it when swimming but it is usually upward, The right leg however I have not seen down in just over a week. The let leg turned upwards about 3-4 days ago after the right leg which was 7-8 days ago.
Since it happened in such a small space of time I am fairly certain it was not an injury and have not noticed any marks etc on either leg and have not seen the other axolotl biting/ bullying him at all recently.

As for his spine it is straight, he was swimming in the last picture hence the bend but when at rest the spine is straight.

Also the other axolotl in the tank is perfectly fine and has no problems with any legs.

I was considering fridging him but don't really want to do this until I know what is going on and if it would do him any good. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
I actually thought that it may be a dislocation as well, when it was one leg but after both I was unsure as I feel with both legs happening within a week it may be something more sinister going on within my axolotl that I cannot see and was hoping that somebody had seen this before and could tell me what it was. I also considered trying to push the leg back into place but since I do not know what the cause is I do not want to attempt this as I may do more harm than good when I have no idea what is actually happening.

I can try to get more pictures to post up, maybe some clearer shots would be helpful. May take a while though as he is pretty active and when he does rest it's in awkward places to get a photo in the tank!

zombieaddict

Reaction score
Is it possible that it could be something neurological? Like some kind of axolotl version of cerebral palsy? How old is he? You might want to consider having it checked out by the vet. If it is anything neurological, this could only be the start. So it's definitely better safe than sorry.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Not sure about it being neurological as other than the legs being turned up he is acting perfectly normally and it really doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. If nobody here can help and if nothing changes I will have to bring him to a vet and see what is up.

As for his age be would be almost 5 years old I believe as he was young when I got him.

Here are some new, better pictures if they are any good.

Attachments

• DSCF0772_2.JPG
    DSCF0772_2.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 487
  • DSCF0773_2.JPG
    DSCF0773_2.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCF0774_2.JPG
    DSCF0774_2.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCF0780_2.jpg
    DSCF0780_2.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 286

EmbryH

Reaction score
Man, the poor guy looks pretty bad, not just from his legs, but he seems underweight too (only a tiny bit, though that's understandable if his legs make it difficult for him to eat)

Perhaps he suffered broken limbs that regenerated incorrectly? Honestly, I'd get him to a vet and get some x-rays done. This seems like it'll need more professional help.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
quick update, Just decided to take him out of the water for a minute to see if I could see anything I was missing, When out of the water He was able to use all four legs with no problems! Put him back in the water and he just uses his back legs again and leaves his front legs up behind him.

This tells me he does in fact have control of his front legs but is he for some reason choosing not to use them in the water or would water somehow make him lose control of his legs?

As for weight, from above the body is the width of the head which I believe is a healthy weight from my readings and what I have always gone by so I am happy enough with his weight to be honest. Although I admit he can look a bit ribby sometimes depending on the way he is holding his body!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I have seen anything like this before. I would advise you to try and get this axolotl to an exotics vet to be looked at. I suspect, like Zombieaddict that this is may well be a neurological problem.

Out of interest, what have you been feeding them ? Also have you added anything newish to the tank?

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Nothing new has been added to the tank in well over a year. He has been fed a mixture of koi pellets, meal worms and earthworms (very rarely) all of the same brand for the five years I have owned him.

It'll be about a week until I have the money to bring him to a vet but as I said it doesn't seem to be bothering him in any way and is eating fine so he should be fine until then. I wonder if any of the vets on here have seen these symptoms before and could shed any light on the situation?

On a side note whenever any amphibian I have gets sick it seems to be something nobody has ever seen or can identify such as when my two African clawed frogs became suddenly paralysed and died within a month of each other :(

Does anyone think there would be any benefit in fridging him for a few days to see if it helps?

zombieaddict

Reaction score
How long ago did that happen with your frogs? I wonder if this could in some way be related?

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
That was over a year ago.

Here is the thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f53-ot...gs/85241-urgent-sick-african-clawed-frog.html

I don't believe it is the same thing, symptoms are very different in my opinion as like I said the axolotl can still use his legs when out of the water, just seems not to when in the tank. Also the axolotl is still eating fine and is active whereas the frogs appetite and activity went when the legs did.

I'm really not sure what to do at the moment *sigh* .

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
OK guys,

Update time, woke up this morning and Bud is using both legs normally and walking around his tank!! I will keep an eye on him and see what happens.

If it comes to going to the vet what should I bring with me? Bud and a water sample from his tank?

E

Elise

I'd bring a thermos of tank water. They're not going to use tap water to rinse things with your axolotl because of the chlorine risk. Plus you can use it to change his water in his transport tub if it warms up. An ice pack and the pictures you posted here would be a good idea too. Give us an update after your visit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1