Are beach stones safe?

bugdozer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live near the beach, which would be a good source of pretty stones to decorate my axolotl tank. But is it safe to use these? Obviously I'd wash them thoroughly first.

I live near the beach, which would be a good source of pretty stones to decorate my axolotl tank. But is it safe to use these? Obviously I'd wash them thoroughly first.

Axolotl Sanctuary Scroll down to 'Rocks', there is information on how to test if a rock is safe to put in your tank and a list of rocks that are or are not.

I also believe you should boil them to kill anything that might be living on it from the ocean.

Pour a little vinegar on it, if it fizzes then its not ok, if it doesn't, then boil it and go ahead and put it in. Simple and quick test. Though its not solely reliable, make sure ( if you can, its hard to identify rocks i think ) that its a safe rock. -Seth

Oooh I was thinking of doing the same thing so glad I seen this post! Will do the vinegar test too! :D

I've done this before in my tank and looks great - it's his favorite hide! Try to identify it, vinegar test (muric acid is more reliable), boil them/scrub them and monitor your pH as rocks can raise them or lower them.

However I would make sure it's a clean beach i.e not many people use it, not polluted or contaminated via sewerage, rain water etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back