I found a hatchling at the bottom of my tank!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I was emptying my tank(see previous thread) to move it to a different location and as I was removing everything I noticed a baby at the bottom.

My hatchlings are about 11days old now, so this guy must of hatched around the same time. I do recall seeing an empty egg floating around the tank but i assumed it would of been eaten or something. Plus its a 50gallon tank.

Its still alive!! I am going to give it some food and hope he makes it. Pretty little wild type, he is about 1/2 the size of my other babies

The first day mine started to hatch, I was feeding the parents, and right next to Dad's hide was Tank the Peg, just sitting there, staring at me. He was huge compared to the other babies, so I assume he hatched roughly 3-4 days earlier as had the eggs I had sent to Willowcat.

Oh bless him! Yes, feed him up and give him some TLC.

Lucky little falla!!

Thats amazing to thinj theres alot of stories about parents eating their babies and this ones gone through the whole process of hatching and coming out without being hurt is brilliant! Wish you all the best with the little one! :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! He ate last night, not a lot but he is about the size of a new hatchling right now but i do see orange in his belly. It was like instataneous! Lol! Other then that all I can hope is he starts thriving from here on out. 11days in that tank.. He must of found a nice place to hide and fed off food debris or something..
I am still baffled.
y2ude3es.jpg

I recently went through a similar situation. Our goldfish laid eggs when our filter wasn't working properly and two managed to hatch. I named them Sushi and Calamari because I was pretty sure they'd get eaten. Sure enough Calamari disappeared after a few weeks but now Sushi is a good 1 1/2" long, turning gold, and is starting to look like a real goldfish!

Any baby critter that can survive in the tank with its cannibal parents gets a big thumbs up from me. I think it's a sign that those survivors are going to be some bad mamma jammas.

Heheh absolutely! That is wonderful! I think my roommate wants to keep the baby. So i may get to watch it grow

Hey does anybody understand this?

Melanoid dad/wild type mother. None have genetics for leucism as far as I know.. Offsprings are either golden or white albino, and what looks like axanthic albino, wild type and white melanoid/melanoid(still to young to tell, but looks like they are losing pigment)

This little guy who i was almost 100% sure was wild type when i first removed him from the tank, is losing his pigment and looks like he is turning into a leucistic!! He does not have the blotchs like my wild types, looks like just black specks like a melanoid/white melanoid when they are young. Still looks like he has yellow pigmentation though like a wild though.

But he would be the only leucistic..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back