Question: Use of Nitra-Zorb and Prime with Axolotls

ThickAsaBrick

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mentioned in another thread that I've been leery of any chemicals with the Axolotl tank. I have a source of cheap bottled spring water and I've used that rather than treated tap water. My problem is that the spring water is now arriving with 20-30 ppm Nitrates and I can't lower my Nitrates much if that's the water I'm changing with. so... I have a few more questions to help me determine my next course of action.

Could I use Nitra-Zorb to lower the nitrates or would that be bad for an axolotl? I'm assuming that the spring water nitrate level might be a seasonal fluctuation because I know the same water had 0 nitrates a few months ago when I was cycling the tank.

Alternately I purchased Seachem Prime to dechlorinate tap water but I read today in some threads that Prime could mess up my cycle because it neutralized ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The bottle itself claims that it does so in a manner that allows cycling to progress. What is the expert opinion here? Is Prime bad for the cycle or just neutral? I did a very large water change before I discovered that the new water was my problem and I am concerned that I may have busted my cycle because I have detectable ammonia today.

If Prime does neutralize Nitrate and does not harm the nitrate cycle could that help me deal with the Nitrate level?

And finally, when dechlorinating tap water do you try to use exactly enough dechlorinator for the tap water (a 5 gal bucket in my case) or do you use slightly more to eliminate the chance of leaving some chlorine that could kill your good bacteria?

Meanwhile my poor baby is barely eating and I'm worried about what it might be if not the water quality.

A small amount of chlorine will not kill your cycle. Chemicals like Nitra-zorb are likely to make your already sick axie even worse. Prime does not remove all nitrate.

Use dechlorinated tapwater, as I said beofre, there is no need for spring water. Use whatever concentration it says on the bottle, do not use more 'just in case' or less because you're not sure.

Your first priority is to keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down to a non-toxic level, the cycle will just take longer to get established - and if that means daily water changes thats what you have to do.

I did daily changes in a smaller tank for months while his main tank cycled so I know the pain. I had nobody to get any cycled filter media from. I have three tanks now so I wouldn't have as much trouble. It turns out the existing cycle is ok. I had a small ammonia spike the day after my huge change but by the next day my ammonia and nitrite went back to zero and have stayed there.

I bought a new Nitrate test (Salifert) and it is reading more accurate than my API and it turns out that my Nitrate is not growing unrealistically. My Axolotl is still not eating though and that eliminates what was my most likely reason. I have a vet appointment for tomorrow so hopefully that will help get to the bottom of this. He ate a couple pellets yesterday for the first time in a couple days and he is still cunky so he's not in danger of starving but there has to be something going on.

Thank you for your attention. Your advice to others has always been good. Once I get past this I will post some pictures.

If you're on municipal water, then generally it's safe to use for amphibians. Is there any reason why you don't want to use tap water?

"There has to be something going on", like what? If it's eating, and still maintaining weight, a vet visit will be stressful and probably lead to a loss of appetite again. I don't know the whole story, but I'm leary of taking animals to the vet for no reason. It's expensive and stressful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back