Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Cool mutation

Boomsloth

Reaction score
So I received some axolotls during christmas. While I was feeding them today I noticed this guy as a little something extra. DSC00368.jpg

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I don't have any cool ones yet. He is a real pain though. He loves floating around pretending he's dead.

Neil C

Reaction score
Am I seeing the same thing with it's colouring as well! Is it all white underneath except for some colour on it's feet like socks? If this is the case then you have a Piebald!!!! Please post some more photos.

Regards Neil

E

Elise

You should definitely make a thread in the gallery sub-forum so we can watch him grow up with your updates. He also has the two vertical gills that give a lot of character. A very special little guy.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Gilligan it is! I have to fly home for the weekend but my gf is taking care of all the Lotls. He is a wild type but I think one of his siblings might have a few extras too. I will post many more pictures of all of them as soon as I am back!

Brachi

Reaction score
He's a cutie! We definitely need to see more pictures. :)

Boomsloth

Reaction score
So I came back from home (living in school dorm) and while my gf was taking care of everything the power must have gone out because the cycle crashed and ammonia spiked up in all my tanks. unfortunately the smallest I had (white albino ~1in) passed, but everyone else survived and after multiple water changes will begin to thrive again.
As promised here's Gilligan still going strong! DSC00376.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Oh and Gilligan has another small gill growing behind his top right one. I tried to get it to show up on camera but failed. maybe this is just some random mutation.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I had a little guy who had an extra gill stalk too. It just adds to their charm.

smiley1996

Reaction score
Gilligan looks stunning!
My Axie loves to play dead or hide so I panic and he just pokes his head out as if he knows! they have great personalities for sure :)
Goodluck with your beautie :)

Boomsloth

Reaction score
My ultimate goal is to breed my axolotls. It would be awesome if this is hereditary and passed down the line. I have 8 axolotls (1 gfp leucistic, 1 melanoid, 1 albino, 1 gfp wild type, 4 wild types).

EmbryH

Reaction score
What a frisky looking little dude! Keep us updated; can't wait to see how he grows up :3

BramJ

Reaction score
I also have one with 4 gills on one side :)

10003324164_cf8b00ca50_z.jpg

not the best photo of the gills, but its the only one I have of her 'quad' side :p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Bram, Is her name Trident or Posiden? Haha!

Also: I love the spots on your leucistic. Just lovely!

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I also love how the white axolotl in the picture is Piebald :) It's an unusual colour/mutation smorgasboard!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1