API and Salifert Nitrate tests giving different resuts - Which is better

ThickAsaBrick

Reaction score
Country
United States
My last two posts laid out my recent frustration with Nitrate levels. I have trouble reading the API tests so I ordered the Salifert. It was one of the highest rated Nitrate test on a few sites I looked at. It showed up today.

My tanks have been at 40+ppm for multiple days seemingly regardless of what I do including an 80-90% change 2 days ago. My source water was reading around 30. Only my tap water has read much different. The tap water reads at 0.

I tested both of my tanks today when I got home with the Salifert test. My wife had already done a water change on both tanks. The API test says both tanks are about 30-40. The Salifert has one of my tanks at 5ppm and the other at 2.5ppm. A factor of ten difference is ridiculous but I'm not sure what to trust now.

My gut says the API test has to be faulty though it is only about 1 month old. SO I'm asking the smart people here. Is Salifert all it is cracked up to be? If not what do you think could be going on?

I do 30% changes in my tank each week to try and reduce the nitrate, before a water change it seems hard to differentiate between 40ppm and 80ppm on the api test, a couple of hours after a water change it goes down to the darkest orange colour and im struggling to view this as a true reading for my nitrates too.

Soo TL:DR Im also interested to know others opinions as im unsure of the trueness of api's nitrate result :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back