Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs have arrived!!

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
So as you all know I was looking forward to my possible eggs from my albino pair Kit and Kip, as I saw them doing their 'dance' last Friday but I was disappointed that no eggs were dropped by Kip during the past week. However when I get home from work today (About an hour ago) I saw my albino pair shaking and doing the dance so I decided to leave them to it. I go to feed my dark pair, Axel (Boy) and Glenn (Female) and I noticed these black things on the sand! I am 90% sure these are eggs and would love to hear from you guys :) I moved them into a tiny container about 8" by 5" with a small air stone just in case. However I only saw these 6 :eek: If an axie laid eggs, would they only lay 6? Imagine my surprise when it was the other pair that bred :grin: So thanks and any help is appreciated :)

P.S, here is a pic of the new momma ;)

Attachments

• DSCF9264.jpg
    DSCF9264.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9269.jpg
    DSCF9269.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCF9286.jpg
    DSCF9286.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCF9291.jpg
    DSCF9291.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF9288.jpg
    DSCF9288.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 228

layna

Reaction score
Have a quick read of this :D
Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully

They do look egg like to me though haha

She may not be done laying, or they might have eaten some i dont really know haha, mine have been doing the dance for around 6 weeks but im yet to see any eggs, they just do what they want lol :confused:

auntiejude

Reaction score
They tend to lay eggs in little batches, mine did batches of 6-10 every 20 minutes or so.
But if she doesn't produce more she may just be 'leaking' a few unfertilised eggs - some females do this.

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Went to check on my parents again and decided to do a more thorough look at their tank and found 12 more axolotl eggs, which makes 15 so far as 3 were white, cloudy, and fuzzy. Is it possible to know which eggs aren't fertilized after they've been hatched or do I keep a lookout for more fuzzy white eggs? There is one egg that seems exactly half dark brown and half light brown, does this mean the egg is a dud? the rest seem to look like the picture below. Any help is appreciated :eek:

Attachments

• wildtype_eggs.jpg
    wildtype_eggs.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 124

layna

Reaction score
If its cloudy and fuzzy, its not fertalised.
If you unsure on any, keep them in a seperate from than the 'good' eggs and see how they develop :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1