Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Need opinion on 20 long... adding another axie

AshSeek

Reaction score
Hey folks, i know ideally the rule of thumb is 10gallons per every axolotl.
Currently i have a 20 long with three 8inch (growing) axolotls. two females and a male.
I am attending college and our first year we have to live in the dorms and technically can only have a 10 gallon, tho i have my 20 long. i have someone in the area whom i've got two of my other axolotl's from, she still has GFP white lecuistic available which i am really wanting to scoop up.
I'm just wondering how stressful do you think it would be for me to add another (would then be 4 to a 20 gallon long). I see many people (sometimes breeders or per stores which i know mostly do not know anything about axolotls) that keep quite a few together, which from some that i have seen they have been very healthy in size and gill length etc, with no missing limbs or gills.
This summer i would like to get a larger tank or possibly another 20 long which might be easier as i move houses, to add my axolotls to and split them up. but how do you all think they will be coping for now if i was to add a fourth?
anyways i just want to see what your folk's experience has been and gladly looking for opinions and comments.

** note they would all be the same size give or take half an inch

Mortimer

Reaction score
Honestly, I think having three in there may be pushing it--especially because, like you said, they're still growing. I typically keep two adults in a 20g long, but I currently have a third in with them (as of today). They seem much more cramped now...I couldn't imagine another one in there with them as well.

E

Elise

You may be overextending yourself. I also think you are assuming nothing will go wrong while you are increasing the odds something will.

Also, don't assume your college wont enforce their pet rules, unless you obtained a written exemption.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I wouldn't. I had 6 babies at 4" in a 60L (15 gal), and they got snappy, so I would say you would be way too overcrowded.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1