A baby hatched!!!

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
A baby hatched today!!! its also my moms birthday!!! its a small baby so its likely gonna die but at least 3 healthy ones r tryin to break free of their membranes
i may photograph them later

I woke up to find 3 babies hatched! So my question is do you move them? Do I feed them in with the other 50 eggs? I am new to this so am not sure what to do

I move them immediately as soon as i notice a hatched egg. That way you can start doing frequent water changes, feed them etc.. As an egg does not create waste but a baby does. I use a turkey baster to get the hatchlings out. I find this is safe for about the first 10days or so but afterwards I know firsthand(by accident) what the turkey baster can do to a baby after it gets to a certain size lol

i also use a turkey baster but i find removing the old egg membranes works

Oh yeah, the trusty use-it-for-everything turkey baster! Whether it's moving hatchlings, removing unwanted food and poop, empty eggs, feeding juvies - it does everything!

Tiny hatchlings are so hard to catch because they move so darn quick - I found the turkey baster best for moving them for the first week too.

Awesome I will move them now. I have one that is moving but I don't see gills...

Lmao yes the use for everything handy axolotl tool! Mine is cracked on the top so I do eventually need a new one. Plus its dirty too. I try to rinse it but 2$ tool has lasted me a full year!

I use a medicine dropper for feeding hatchlings, but a turkey baster to feed juvies+ and to harvest my bbs. And i use it right now to do water changes for my babies. I do like a 95% water change since i dont have a net or anything else to transfer them.

Even with the turkey baster i have a hard time catching new hatchlings! My little unknown color morph axolotl baby that i found 11days after hatching in a tank with 5adults is proof that they are excellent at hiding/escaping dangerous situations. I clean around and under everything every water change and never saw him..

i clean my baster once in a while
i run isopropl through it then rinse it with hot water
between uses i rinse with fresh water to avoid contamination

Be very cautious using a turkey baster on newly hatched young. They're fragile. If you're not confident with your bastering skills, practice first!

I used a 3ml syringe attached to some airline tubing, seemed pretty gentle ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back