Hello From Texas - tiger salamander info?

txtoad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
10 years ago I purchased a couple of "water dogs" from a bait shop and kept them as pets for years. I couldn't believe they were ever used as fish bait due to how cute and interactive they were.

I decided that I would like to get a tiger salamader/water dog for my boys to keep. What happened to all of our local salamanders? The bait shop which is the only place that I knew of in Houston said he hasn't seen any in 6 months and I can't find anything on the internet. Just curious if this is a nationwide thing due to environmental problems or lack of interest?

Would be very interested in getting a pair and attempting a captive breeding. My school district I'm certain would be very supportive in my project as they would be fantastic to observe in the classroom as they morph then recollected for future breedings.

I have a very large area indoors and outdoors for a project and our mostly mild climate here on the Gulf coast I think would be very beneficial to a set up. I'm under the impression from what I've read that tiger's have more successful breedings while outdoors or simulated weather conditions of over wintering.

If anyone has any advice or recommended reading, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jamie ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back