How big do female axolot starting to breed?

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
I was reading around the thread here that male can even start to breed as small as 4 inches in length.. But what about female?

I have 1 wild type male and 1 GFP wild type female ( the store I bought them from had sexed them by expert so I'm at least 80% sure they are male and female). And they are above 4 inches long. Now I really need to know for sure of when is the critical time to starting to separate 2 of them. Cause they seem so comfortable in same tank do to my understanding yet still not so sure if I misinterpreted their body language or not, can someone please could confirm it for me?.

Most of their usual behavior lately are mostly lots of rhythmicallysynchronize swimming together. ( I do wish I could capture them on camera but I've never could on time) They also knocking around the fantasy fish I kept in the tank as a toy together, then swimming through the plastic trail pipes at the same time together with out crashing to the side as I always afraid of especially the curve corner .. then everyday at dinner time they will always get their head on top each other pressing their face to the tank trying to get a better stared at me staring at the computer trying to find a better way to prepare the next meal for them. ( I kept on different variety beside their stable diet) I don't think they are twin either. At late night it's kinda like watching 1 swimming axolotl and it's shadow. not 2 axolotls which is kinda freaky and creepy in the way.:alien:.

should I be worry?

You cannot reliably sex an axolotl under 8". They don't breed - male or female - until they are sexually mature - usually over 8" and over 12 months. They will not breed at 4" - you've got about 6 months minimum before they reach breeding age and size, then you have to wait for the right environmental conditions, and it's unlikely that your LFS are correct about selling you a male and a female at that size.

Axies can be sociable, they like sitting on top of each other, chasing each other and hanging out together. Probably not a mating dance at 4".

You cannot reliably sex an axolotl under 8". They don't breed - male or female - until they are sexually mature - usually over 8" and over 12 months. They will not breed at 4" - you've got about 6 months minimum before they reach breeding age and size, then you have to wait for the right environmental conditions, and it's unlikely that your LFS are correct about selling you a male and a female at that size.

Axies can be sociable, they like sitting on top of each other, chasing each other and hanging out together. Probably not a mating dance at 4".
burrito is 7.5 inches and breeds
her babies that just hatched yesterday r already stacking lol

burrito is 7.5 inches and breeds
her babies that just hatched yesterday r already stacking lol

You shouldnt breed them before they are fully mature, its not good for the female :(

You shouldnt breed them before they are fully mature, its not good for the female :(

i was worried that holding in all those eggs would be unhealthy for her

If they dont fertalise the eggs, they reabsorb them, they dont just sit there

Thats true, but not all axies will get to be 8", some of them just stay a little smaller. Some only get to 7.5" at 18 months, and if Burrito is over 12 months it shouldn't be a problem.

My wildtype female is only just 8", and she's laid twice, I believe she hatched Autumn 2012 so was about 12 months for her first batch.

Thats true, but not all axies will get to be 8", some of them just stay a little smaller. Some only get to 7.5" at 18 months, and if Burrito is over 12 months it shouldn't be a problem.

My wildtype female is only just 8", and she's laid twice, I believe she hatched Autumn 2012 so was about 12 months for her first batch.
burrito hatched September 2011

I apologise then, i thought you meant she was young and not yet fully grown :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back