New Axolotl owner

Ruth

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have been given an Axolotl recently and am looking for some info to make sure he/she is getting the best care, the axie is about 7 inches long and for a long period of time was living in a tank that was only about 11 inches long. I have put it in a 3 ft long tank since I've had him and am wondering if he will grow bigger? Was his growth stunted by being in a small tank? He was also only ever fed raw lamb cat food, doesn't seem to be interested in slugs or earthworms if I keep giving him the worms will he eventually eat them? I don't like giving him only the lamb meat help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 262
How old is he? He looks to be in reasonable health. If he is over 12 months he may not grow any more, younger and he might do. You'll just have to wait and see.

Axies don't tend to be limited by the size of their tank, it's more about genetics and nutrition. It's more likely his food (cat food? really?) has stunted his growth than anything.

Axies will take worms, but it's the same as children - they will turn their noses up at new food, then play with it for a bit before they take a bite. Give him time, he will take worms if you persevere.

Please pop over to the axie section (this post may well end up moved anyway) for advice and axie related banter :)

Thanks I have no idea how old he is, and yes cat food :eek: hoping to give him a better life!

Ok now I'm concerned about his poop, it's stringy and White could this also be due to what he was being fed? I'm not going to be feeding him the 'cat food his previous "carer's" we're feeding him

His poo does come down to what he eats in most cases ^^ dont panic :) thats a beautiful axie you habe there :)

Every animal has the right to be loved...

Don't worry about the poop right now - I bet you'd have weird poop if you ate cat food :tongue:

Thanks all for your help and advice here I was worried that he wouldn't eat earthworms but is eating them today lol

That's great!

Every animal has the right to be loved...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back