Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl owner in CT - I have two babies

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Hello! First Axolotls for me! I saw an add in craigslist and got a pair.

I have brine shrimp hatching and they are eating very well so far! I was able to get video of them eating:

Baby Axolotls eating - YouTube

I can't wait till they get a little bigger and I can feed them food that I can see! :)

I think they are about 1.5-2 months old now? What do you guys think?

I have a lot of reading to do, that's for sure! Look forward to learning ;)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Welcome! I love the way babies snap at tiny food. It's even funnier when they look like jumping beans when they get onto bigger food.

I can see front leg buds on your babies, so I reckon they are about 4-6 weeks.
You can feed them bigger food like daphnia one thier mouths are big enough to take them, once they are about 2".

Please pop over to the axolotl section and do some reading - there is a whole load of advice and info over there. And some very enthusiastic axie owners who will love the video.

CousinLarry

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading!! So much to learn!

The little ones are eating well and very active. I have got the brine shrimp hatching down pretty good - they have no shortage of food!!

brineshrimphatchery.jpg

I keep that fish tank at 80°. I have a bunch of types of shrimp, a native sucker fish, and some other oddballs.. Having the hatchery in the tank keeps the brine babies nice and toasty. I keep the air stone on for one day and the next day the bottle is filled with brine shrimp ready to feed the Axolotls.

Their stomachs get huge and orange after they gorge on them. hahaa

CousinLarry

Reaction score
My little ones are devouring the brine shrimp hatchlings every day - yet they don't seem to be growing! I can just barely see little pins sticking out where their front legs would be.. Nothing on the back that I can see. Does that seem right for about 2 months? Am I just being impatient?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1