Question: Introducing a new axolotl to my original one

ashmor604

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new here. I purchased a golden albino (female approximately 6 inches) recently from my LFS. Since then I've been wanting to get her another and found a private seller with a 5-6 inch female wild type near my area. Mine is currently in a 20 gallon long tank and I will be sure to get more hides but is there anything else I should know about introducing the two?

As long as they are a similar size as in a few cm apart you should be fine ^^ :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

So I don't need to divide the tank at all? I should just acclimate the new one and then put her in with mine right away? It sounds so counterintuitive but maybe it is just that easy.

No, you need to quarantine your new axie to ensure it's not carrying any nasty illnesses first.
If you have a divider it may be useful, other than that, yes acclimatise you new axie after quarantine (4 weeks) and put it in.

Thanks! I thought I read that. I guess I'll just use cycled water from my current tank in my older smaller tank and throw a filter in there to use as a quarantine tank. Any idea on how long I should divide them?

This might sound crazy, but you will know how long to divide them for.

They will show interest in each other and be friendly, but they won't be aggressive. I kept mine divided for one day before I introduced them (after a quarantine period of two weeks, but they came from the same place). There were a few questioning nips but they've been perfect since.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back