Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Question about storing blackworms.

zombieaddict

Reaction score
So after a bad worm purchasing experience from walmart and two gross days of cutting nightcrawlers into little bits for my little axolotls to eat(some of them are intimidated by these wide chunks), I've decided to give in and order another pound of blackworms. But I cannot keep these things in my fridge! It just isn't going to work. So can I keep them in a cooler with daily ice changes to keep them cold enough? I imagine I would just put the ice down on the bottom in bags and then set the containers on top. I'd be going in daily to change ice packs, so oxygen would still be getting in and whatnot. I just want to have an idea in advance on whether this will work or not. I don't want to buy a pound of blackworms and end up with a pound of dead yuck.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are really diligent - change the ice and RINSE the worms every single day - then it should work fine. As soon as you slip up and skip a day, there will be problems. Good luck!

The thing many people get wrong is to keep too much water on the worms. Just enough water to cover, none above them, or they will suffocate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!