Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing axolotl?

thatfunkygreen

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum, although I have been reading the boards for about a month or so. My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

The situation I am having right now is that I think my axolotl is morphing into a terrestrial creature. I think? I have read that the species never goes through this phase unless hormones are introduce, in doing so, the animal usually dies due to the stress involved. Which makes me question whether I have an axolotl at all. Either way, I am very concerned for it's health and would like the community's input.

I've named it Toothless (how to train a dragon) and I really enjoy having it in my aquarium. The current set up is a 29 gallon with 2 underwater filters. My ph level is 6 and nitrates are close to 0. The temperature is 70 and I do 5 gallon water changes every other 2 days. Toothless also has a neighbor whom is an emerald catfish.

http://s324.photobucket.com/user/khoa_33/media/20140115_011655.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

This is the first day I had Toothless, it's gills are clearly there and it's tail fin is very present.

http://s324.photobucket.com/user/khoa_33/media/20140122_232440.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

http://s324.photobucket.com/user/khoa_33/media/20140123_031211.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

Within 2 weeks or so, I noticed Toothless begin to change. It's gills have receded quite a significant amount and the tail is along the back has nearly disappeared. Also, it's head has changed shape into a shorter broader U shape.

http://s324.photobucket.com/user/khoa_33/media/20140123_225636.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Lastly, this is a picture I took tonight, Toothless has tiny little nubs for gills and the tail is nearly gone. I have provided a small turtle island at the top of the tank just in case, other wise I'm not sure what else to do. This has all happened within a time span of a month.

I have observed normal eating habits and there is plenty of evidence of this inside the tank... Toothless also seems to be shedding a little bit and the tail is coming off in small strips.

Please let me know what I can do differently to help Toothless in it's situation or if it's even considered normal for this to be happening. Also, can I get confirmation of Toothless actually being an axolotl?

Last edited:

auntiejude

Reaction score
I believe your 'axolotl' is actually a tiger salamander.

You need to read up on salamander care, and get a vivarium set up for him. He's going to need a dry area pretty soon.

And go back to wherever you got him from and shout loudly until they give you some free stuff to help you care for your morphed pet.

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
I'm not of much help but I'm not sure if it's an axolotl, it doesn't look like any I've ever seen before but it defiantly looks like it's going through a morphing phase of some sort. Hopefully someone else more experienced with this sort of thing can help better.

thatfunkygreen

Reaction score
lovesheraxies, Elise, auntiejude thank you for your responses.

I suspected Toothless to be something other than an axolotl; I browsed the galleries of other members on the forum and there was a noticeable difference. It upsets me that the store would label them as axolotls, but I do remember the sales person said at the counter, "water dog."

Fault aside, it is my responsibility to research animals before placing in my aquarium. I will make a trip to the store tomorrow and see if they will meet me at least half way on caring for Toothless. As I would not want to return Toothless to the store in fear of improper care or worse.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, definitely a tiger salamander. Elise's links should give you a solid start on caring for it.

Let us know how the pet shop handles the situation. If they argue with you about the species, point out the toes. Axolotls have long, thin 'ET' toes, while tigers have these short, fat sausage toes. And I've never seen a legitimate axolotl with that coloration (but lots of tigers).

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Also, not to be rude, but I really would remove the catfish. Axolotls and Tiger Sals shouldn't be kept with fish - fish can nibble their gills or suck their slime coats, damaging them.
But I agree. That is definetely a Tiger Salamander. I hope those articles help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1