Surprise!

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh my! I haven't posted in awhile and when I do its for this! I had a pretty rough day but I come down stairs at approximately 12:06 to find this! I think she's still laying downstairs right now. I'm so excited! I'm sorry for the terrible cell phone pictures but I don't think flash would be too comfortable for her. I was definitely not expecting this at all! Actually, I couldn't even tell their genders apart but now we've got some babies. I wonder when she will finish laying?

Attachments

• DSC_0492.jpg
    DSC_0492.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC_0493.jpg
    DSC_0493.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 296
So I went down to have a check on her before going to bed to see if she was done and it looked like she was taking a break so I ran in and grabbed (not literally) some eggs out of the tank. I only picked up the ones that were being agitated by the filter, the ones on the floor and the ones against the glass. I'm worried that I hurt them though because I broke the outside jelly part( the one that like sticks them to things and clumps them together not the round hardish clear stuff). I gently took them out with a turkey baster but it broke off that clumping jelly. Will they be okay? The rest of the eggs are on their feeding dish and hide so I took out the feeding dish and put it into an aerated bucket with the other eggs but it seems that she is still using the hide and I don't want to stress her out more by taking it away. Hopefully none of the axies will notice those eggs until I can take then out tmr.

You'll find that it's probably easier to pry them off with your hands. I usually use a 'scraping' motion with the side of my finger, and they pop right off whatever they're stuck to. I've never damaged an egg this way. As long as you don't rupture the inner membranes of the egg, they should be fine.

You'll find that it's probably easier to pry them off with your hands. I usually use a 'scraping' motion with the side of my finger, and they pop right off whatever they're stuck to. I've never damaged an egg this way. As long as you don't rupture the inner membranes of the egg, they should be fine.

I tried doing that but the eggs that were on the floor were impossible to pick up like that :/ That's a relief to hear. :eek: I would be devastated if I had hurt them.

The setup:

Closeup:

Are they developing okay? They look the same to me as they did before....(of course I can't get an amazing view but no change in shape at all.)

If they are viable, then the middle will turn oval first. That should happen within a few days, depending on the temp they're kept at. Non-viable eggs will turn cloudy and blurgh (that's the technical term).

Just to add to the jelly question, I 'helped' some of mine out of the jelly in the last stages of hatching and I tell you, that stuff is THICK. I mean those little guys have got some serious cushioning going on, layers and layers and it's tough.

They're developing! My precious little bean creatures. Guess I worried for nothing. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC_0517.jpg
    DSC_0517.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 205
They'll change rapidly from here until they start to look like tiny axolotls. It's very interesting to watch!

If they are viable, then the middle will turn oval first. That should happen within a few days, depending on the temp they're kept at. Non-viable eggs will turn cloudy and blurgh (that's the technical term).

Just to add to the jelly question, I 'helped' some of mine out of the jelly in the last stages of hatching and I tell you, that stuff is THICK. I mean those little guys have got some serious cushioning going on, layers and layers and it's tough.

Blurgh is a very technical term. I shall use it in my essay.

That's great to hear :D I was quite worried that I had hurt them.

This happened quite awhile ago but the eggs hatched. We started with an early riser who showed up before everyone else then one to two hatchlings a day after. Then two days ago everyone hatched.

Attachments

• DSC_0550.jpg
    DSC_0550.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0575.jpg
    DSC_0575.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0577.jpg
    DSC_0577.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 232
Are these guys okay? I don't see eyes? About half my hatchlings are like this. Are they albino?

Attachments

• DSC_0646.jpg
    DSC_0646.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_0640.jpg
    DSC_0640.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0644.jpg
    DSC_0644.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 215
Yes, albino larvae start out kind of grey-peach and lighten up. You should be able to see shiney iridophores in a few days if they have them that makes they eyes more visible. If you get a magnifying glass you can actually see inside an albino baby - it's brain, heart etc - cool but and stomach churning at the same time!

If the mother is leucisitc what colour is the father? If half your babies are albino I'm guessing dad is too.
But it means your female carries an albino gene.

Oh that's good to hear :D I'm totally surprised that I have any albino babies though haha.

Well the Mom is a leucistic. The dad is either another leu or a wildtype. I'm not actually sure because they all live together (although They're gonna be separated soon.) They're siblings though :/ I suppose their genes would be the same and there's an albino gene somewhere back in their previous generations.

My hatchlings are being wiped out! I don't know what to do :confused: Not just my axies but also the axies of a girl I sold them to locally. She had 30 and over the last week or so, her population declined down to 3. I had about 33 babies and I'm down to four. My axies were happy and healthy when they were first out for awhile but then suddenly within one night I had 14 deaths. One bin was entirely wiped out, another was half wiped out and one had 1 death. Over the next few days they continued dying at a alarming rate. They've been eating daphnia since that's what miraculously showed up in their water and I've watched them eating them so I know they aren't starving to death. I've been doing water changes in small amounts and with water from their parents tank and the temperature is about 20-19 degrees. I'm also turkey basting out the dead ones.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

It happens unfortunately Some axies just don't survive, there doesn't have to be a reason, but most of the time it's a water quality or food issue.

You should be using fresh dechlorinated water, not tank water and doing large water changes daily. How big are your bins, and how many babies did you have in each? You'd be surprised how much waste a tiny axie can produce.

You should be providing food - daphnia don't just 'appear' in water, they have to come from somewhere. And are you sure they are daphnia? One advantage of BBS is you can see the larvae are eating from their orange bellies.

If your parents are siblings it could also be genetic. There are several lethal genes that are more common in sibling pairings.

Good luck with the remaining ones, I have lost 14 out of 85 so far this week, and I know it's hard. But it happens, and it's why axies produce 100s of eggs.

It happens unfortunately Some axies just don't survive, there doesn't have to be a reason, but most of the time it's a water quality or food issue.

You should be using fresh dechlorinated water, not tank water and doing large water changes daily. How big are your bins, and how many babies did you have in each? You'd be surprised how much waste a tiny axie can produce.

You should be providing food - daphnia don't just 'appear' in water, they have to come from somewhere. And are you sure they are daphnia? One advantage of BBS is you can see the larvae are eating from their orange bellies.

If your parents are siblings it could also be genetic. There are several lethal genes that are more common in sibling pairings.

Good luck with the remaining ones, I have lost 14 out of 85 so far this week, and I know it's hard. But it happens, and it's why axies produce 100s of eggs.

It's sad ;A;

I had about 7 axies in a two gallon bin. Apparently, they produce much more than expected. I never knew such a tiny little thing could make such a mess.

I'm not sure what they are really. They looked like swimming grains of black sand but smaller and alive haha. I started feeding the remaining one bbs and it always has a bright orange belly now. It's nice to see.

I think that might be one of the major issues. The girl who bought 30 of them from me and kept them in a completely different environment also got wiped out completely.

I only have one left now :/ I fed them bbs immediately after you replied and changed their water but they still died off and only one is fighting it's way to juviehood. It's going strong though and nearly 3x it's original size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back