Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBN Small Skin Ulcer/Sore

Anthony370

Reaction score
... Maybe I should've listened to you guys about that quarantine afterall.

I noticed that a small circle of skin right near the base of the tail on the body has become slightly red colored. She had been shedding skin semi irregularly lately as well.

At the same time, two of my minnows have died. I did a 50% water change and have put this newt in a quarantine tank.

Any other suggestions?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the fish are suffering it sounds like a water quality issue, have you checked the parameters lately?
Regarding the skin problem the usual treatment is to isolate the animal in a quarantine tank with a damp paper towel substrate and a small hide. The towels should be changed every day or as soon as they become soiled. I used salt baths twice a day and Neosporin ointment applied directly to the sore once a day to treat a skin sore on one of my juvenile C. pyrrhogaster. It cleared up quite quickly but skin sores can be very hit and miss to treat, especially if there are underlying stress issues as there often is with WC newts.
Hope this helps.

Anthony370

Reaction score
It has spread to his front left leg and the bottom mid part of his tail... And all over his body

12344_10202797571357819_2061213655_n.jpg

156900_10202797571797830_1833972846_n.jpg

Can someone move this to the Newt and Salamander area?

Anthony370

Reaction score
I'm not very optimistic about the prognosis, but I've put basically an overdose level of melafix (an antibiotic) in the very little water area in the tank. I'm treating frequently with hydrogen peroxide. She's still hanging on and shows much energy when trying to escape the slight sting of the hydrogen peroxide. Basically her entire left side foams.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Have you tried Neosporin or triple-antibiotic yet? Leaving some on the sores could help. However, since she's in an aquatic setup it might not stay on too long. I do have to agree that it looks pretty grim at the moment... Once again, good luck with her.

Anthony370

Reaction score
Have you tried Neosporin or triple-antibiotic yet? Leaving some on the sores could help. However, since she's in an aquatic setup it might not stay on too long. I do have to agree that it looks pretty grim at the moment... Once again, good luck with her.

Moved her to a terrestrial setup. One of the sores APPEARS to have gotten a little better, but the other a little worse.

Would crushing up some amoxicilin work? Or penicillin?

Anthony370

Reaction score
She's been pretty active the past hour. One of her sores doesn't really foam under peroxide anymore. She was just trying to climb a wall.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1