Boy? Girl?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
So I have a habit of naming axolotl boy names before I know the sex. I then thought Carlos was a female, but is that a potential boy bump in the making? Or do I have high hopes?

From the top i can't notice any bumps, but my other axolotl was a girl for sure and she didn't have this little bump.

(S)he is a bit bigger than 7" now. And not entirely sure how old (s)he is but I've had it for 7 months and wasn't a baby when I got her so she's close to 12 months old.

P.S. Sorry about the photo - I don't know how to flip it the right way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 427
Id say your hopes are right, id definitely agree with male. If not il have to start doubting my own, he has around the same size :)

Actually ... I thought that was the same size as Dysons .... erm yours stands out by far... oh no Dyson might need a name change >.<

Have you ever heard the acronym FUPO? It stands for female until proven otherwise (not to be confused with FUBAR of course ;))

I would say at 7" this rule applies here. At the moment that bump looks female, but give it another few months and things might change.

Have you ever heard the acronym FUPO? It stands for female until proven otherwise (not to be confused with FUBAR of course ;))

I would say at 7" this rule applies here. At the moment that bump looks female, but give it another few months and things might change.

What is FUBAR? Ahhh I can't help naming them boy names, all of them have had boy names.. They just sound better than Mexican girl names :(

Fingers crossed he turns out to be male ✌️

Oh dear I definitely won't mix those up!

Thanks auntiejude :)

You have a beautiful axie!

Oh sorry I didn't see your comment I was being cheeky on my phone at work!

Thank you, I think (s)he is very beautiful. I love the placements of his/her gold spots :)

i think that u may have a female
from the picture i can see it appears the bump is a very subtle and rounded shape
burrito's is that way and i know she's a female
males bumps are very long and flattened on the bottom and im not seeing that
i saw piniata mature and the bump grows outward not downward
another thing is your axie is fairly plump like a female would be
i could be wrong but my guess is female

You have had the axie for 7 months and you got it at about 12 months old right? that means he/she is about 19 months old, my guess would be female. Is the lump still there? If you just noticed it that one time when you took the photo then it could be because she/he pooped somewhere.

You have had the axie for 7 months and you got it at about 12 months old right? that means he/she is about 19 months old, my guess would be female. Is the lump still there? If you just noticed it that one time when you took the photo then it could be because she/he pooped somewhere.

No she wasn't a year old when I bought her, maybe a few months. I got her when she was a very very very small adult so she's no more than a year old yet.

The lump thing is still there, and she didn't poop that day, the next day she did but it's still there.

Ahh sorry i though i ready he/she was 12 months when you got the little one but i read it wrong.

No she wasn't a year old when I bought her, maybe a few months. I got her when she was a very very very small adult so she's no more than a year old yet.

The lump thing is still there, and she didn't poop that day, the next day she did but it's still there.

Looks female to me. A male should be showing at this age. This one looks like my female

I know it sounds odd, but her face looks girl-y! I have a female with a little bump like that, and she recently bred so again, I know she's a girl.

Agree with others, love those markings! Almost like a ribbed newt positioning, but on an axie, awesome :)

I know it sounds odd, but her face looks girl-y! I have a female with a little bump like that, and she recently bred so again, I know she's a girl.

Agree with others, love those markings! Almost like a ribbed newt positioning, but on an axie, awesome :)

Aw I was hoping for a boy! But doesn't matter she's still too cute! And thank you, the iridophores are more impressive in real life :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back