My axolotl got rotten toes and marks... I think he is dying, please help

Neitcom

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Herbert is approx. 8 years old, 31 cm long and has not eaten since the beginning of December. He has never been ill before.

After some days I recognized that he is losing color and the gills are getting less and less.

Around Christmas day, I put him to a separate tank, added some salt and put a sea almond leaf into it. I also added a fish med containing Acriflavinium chloride and methylene blue, but it didn't helped: As you can see at the recent pictures,his toes turned black, I assume they are rotten. Also, he get a black mark under his lip.

I don't know what to do. There is no vet here in the area with amphibian experience. Is there any treatment I should try? I think he is suffering, but I cannot think of euthanizing him until I tried everything.

Thanks for your help and greetings from Germany,
Christian

P.S.:
Picture 1-3: Beginning of December
Picture 4-5: Mid-Dezember
Pirture 6-7: Today

Attachments

• IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,426
  • IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,334
  • IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_3653.JPG
    IMG_3653.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 1,222
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 598
I think this axie has come to the end of his natural life, and it's time to let him go. He looks old and weak (which he is) and 8 years is a good age for a captive axie. You've done all you can with home remedies, but the 'rotten toes' may well be a sympton of internal organs shutting down.

If he hasn't eaten for weeks and his physical condition is deteriorating it might be time to ease his passing to prevent further suffering.

Well, isn't there anything left which I can try? He is still very strong and agile... (stronger than my other younger axolotl, at least when I try to took him out of water).
Maybe someone has a second opinion which would make it more easy for me to decide?

Also, he was always some kind of ugly guy...

Regards,
Christian

It looks like you are doing the same as I would. Keep him cool and continue to offer food. What do you feed them by the way?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back