Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Near disaster-a not of caution for all

seagull

Reaction score
Ok heres the story
please dont be mad at me because this was a genuine error but something bad happened
i have about 20 baby axies give or take a few (i will count later)-counted 12 hatched and 3 unhatched
2 died yesterday because i did something stupid
i made saltwater for brines and put it in an empty water jug near the babies
i labelled it but it was night (the night before yesterday)
i cleaned the water of the 11 who were eating and replaced it and went to bed
i come home from school yesterday and 2 were dead and 3 floated and the rest were sluggish
i noticed the saltwater jug was low on water
i had accidentally given the babies saltwater!!! :O
i promptly fixed the error and now this morning they r looking better, no floaters or upside down babies
so just a word of caution, make sure the babies get fresh water and brines get saltwater

Alyce

Reaction score
Yikes that's awful. I will keep this warning in mind.

kjnorman

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, it's a genuine mistake.

I lost a whole batch of babies mysteriously, and my best theory is that I somehow contaminated them with salt water from not rinsing the brine-shrimp completely or some such.

Definitely need to be careful!

Boomsloth

Reaction score
We all make mistakes. When I was first raising gray tree frog tadpoles I scooped them out from our pool and put them in a 10 gallon set up. I didn't realize I had a hitchhiking back swimmer until I saw it munching on a tadpole. Also realized that when you put live mosquito larva make sure to have a lid that doesn't allow them to fly out once they turn into adults. That was a fun summer lol

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Oh my god lD

You don't even know the half of it lol The reason why I had these tadpoles was we drained our pool to be cleaned and 11 gray tree frogs decided to spawn in it. The reason why I know the exact number is they were extremely loud and the pool amplified it straight to my room. After a few nights of no sleep I went out with a net, caught them all and released them in a different location. No more frog noises, but they left a whole mess of babies.

EmbryH

Reaction score
An honest mistake. One time I almost forget to treat the water before I started doing a change. Luckily I was able to catch it before any harm was done.

I keep my brines in the kitchen, an my babies in the spare room on the opposite side of the house. No saltwater goes near my babies, just because I know I'll derp one day and mess it up :/

At least you caught the problem without too many losses.

kjnorman

Reaction score
Bloomsloth - I have a Grey tree frog mishap of my own!

I was working at a university with large greenhouses in the biology department, and a grey tree frog had somehow got in and was living in the temperate greenhouse.
I was friends with the greenhouse curator, and when the department decided to spray the building to control the cockroaches that tended to build up in the greenhouse, he didn't want the frog to be poisoned, and he knew I had exotic pets, so he kept an eye out for it, trapped it, and gave it to me.

I only had a few weeks before it escaped it's terrarium.

I remember my roommate and I frantically searching and me saying 'I don't know, he's three inches long, can stick to vertical surfaces, and can change colour...he could literally be anywhere.'

About a week later my cat found him, dried to crisp, behind the toilet. That was my lesson about how good frogs can be at escaping :(

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Bloomsloth - I have a Grey tree frog mishap of my own!

I was working at a university with large greenhouses in the biology department, and a grey tree frog had somehow got in and was living in the temperate greenhouse.
I was friends with the greenhouse curator, and when the department decided to spray the building to control the cockroaches that tended to build up in the greenhouse, he didn't want the frog to be poisoned, and he knew I had exotic pets, so he kept an eye out for it, trapped it, and gave it to me.

I only had a few weeks before it escaped it's terrarium.

I remember my roommate and I frantically searching and me saying 'I don't know, he's three inches long, can stick to vertical surfaces, and can change colour...he could literally be anywhere.'

About a week later my cat found him, dried to crisp, behind the toilet. That was my lesson about how good frogs can be at escaping :(

Was it a male or female? The males are ridiculously loud where I used to live. When I caught them they were still competing for females even though the female where right next to them. The babies I did my best and got most of them into little froglets to be released back into the wild. They literally spawned nonstop in my pool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1