Indian almond leaves

Dugnbeck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rebecca
Can anyone tell me their experiences with these as antifungal treatment or just an additive to a tank as a preventative? Also, I noticed they are graded A-D. Is grade important?

Rebecca

As an anti fungal treatment, I would prefer salt bathing until it's completely gone and then a tea bath to soothe the sick afterwards. I think it suits better as a pretentative rather than a treatment, as it helps tighten the pores of the axolotl, making fungus harder to penetrate their slime coat (that's another reason if prefer salt over tea for treating fungus). You can leave the leaves in the tank and it can help slime coat issues and such too.

As for the grading I'm guessing "A" would have stronger properties than those of a grade "D". So I think grading is just the issue of quality.

Ebay explanation of grading can be found here. It depends on whether the leaf is intact or not. Grade A is a whole intact leaf, grade D a bit tatty with holes/tears etc.

Ebay explanation of grading can be found here. It depends on whether the leaf is intact or not. Grade A is a whole intact leaf, grade D a bit tatty with holes/tears etc.

Interesting. Does it affect how to releases tannins and stuff? Is it better to have whole leaves or tattered?

I used Indian Almond Leaves in my axolotls tank when he had a bacterial infection. He had 3 wounds and the tip of his tail had been bleeding too. We were so worried that with the infection and open wounds he would get a fungal infection too. Luckily he didn't and he's fully recovered now. I'd like to think the leaves helped!

Whole versus tattered... I'm fairly certain this would have little or no effect on the release of tannins.

Thanks everyone. I had read the grading info but was still unsure how it would pertain to axies since it seemed to be general or even written for fish breeders. I think I'll go ahead and order some to have on hand in case I need them!!! ;)

Rebecca

I had originally thought of using them as a preventative but after a ton of research I noticed they also cause PH to drop. I already have to supplement their water as it it always a little more on the acidic side of neutral. My goal was to find a preventative

Rebecca

Grade of leaf is not very important for the uses we're talking about, it's more important in fishkeeping and breeding. I got the cheapest ones, they work fine.

The pH drop is due to the tannins being slightly acidic, but thats how they work. In a large axie tank it should not affect the pH significantly.

You could try to harden your water with limestone/coral or bird-grit in a stocking hung in your tank or in the filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back