Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: They were doing great, then...

Swampie

Reaction score
I have 2 axies, both are about 6 inches. They were both doing well, growing, and flourishing. They were eating thawed bloodworm cubes, and both had a great feeding response.

I admit, I have been laxed on water changes, so I did about a 50% water change. I fed them later, but they didn't eat (this is NOT normal). The next day when I got home from work my wild type was floating at the top, ON HIS SIDE! He cannot seem to right himself, at this point my leucistic was fine, so I took out the Wild type and put him in a plastic tub, with fresh water and reptisafe added. I noticed he had lost some gills, they were on the floor of the tub.

The next day my leucistic started to float, but is not having the problem with keeping himself upright. His color is pallid, and I've noticed his blood vessels. I could never see them before, but they are noticable now. He is not eating, i've tried offering food twice to both of them. The wild type has eaten a bite both times.

I'm doing 50% changes on the tub each day, and have the water level low so that they can both reach the floor, to reduce stress. I also have the tub covered with a towel to keep it dark.

The wild type is showing signs of improvement, he's more active than he was. The leucistic seems to be getting worse.

1.)I have them in a 10g (I know it's small, and have bought a 20g, just haven't moved them up yet)

2.) They have an in tank filter, with baffles on both the intake and output to prevent too much water flow.

3.) I use Reptisafe water conditioner with each water change, or when adding new water.

4.) I use a clean water jug to pour their treated water into the tank, and have always done such.

5.) I have no clue to the water parameters, I had no idea how important they were at the time. :(

6.) The water reads 64.5 F with my infared temp gun.

What can I do to help them recover? Can they recover? Could this be Gas bubble disease?

I have read multiple threads on this site, but none have covered all of the symptoms that they are experiencing so I wanted to start a new thread to ensure I can do all I can to remedy this problem.

Sorry so long, just wanted to include all important information. Thanks in advance. I'm absolutely sick, I love my little guys/girls. Please help.

Swampie

Reaction score
...and the wildtype must have regurgitated his food, because I had removed all uneaten worms, and just checked on them and there were worms in the bottom of the tub.

E

Elise

Can you help me understand better how they are kept and where they are currently? Are they normally in an aquarium or a tub? Are your axolotls separated or together right now? How much water, in terms of volume, are currently held in? Is the filter you use cycled?

How long have you had your axolotls?

Do you have another means to measure temperature? Infrared thermometers have an average error of a few degrees and don't actually measure the water column.

Also can you include some pictures of both axolotls and where you are keeping them?

HayleyK

Reaction score
At that size they should be on earthworms, not blood worms. Bloodworms are messy and can easily foul up the water leading to bad water quality = illness.

I can't stress how important testing kits are, get the liquid kits as strips often do not give a correct reading. Your tank should read 0 ammonia and nitrITE, and under 40ppm nitrATE. If these readings are higher, it is most likely your water condition making them ill. If it's just the nitrates that are high do a big water change. If the others a high you have not cycled your tank and need to do 10-20% water changes daily.

As for your axolotls in tubs, I'm guessing they're rather small. You need to be doing 100% water changes and scrubbing the tub with hot water (whilst your axolotl is in another tub of course!). Ensure you're using the right amount of dechlorinator (can you elaborate on reptisafe, I've never heard of it - what does it claim to do?) with water, and avoid just dunking it into the tank (if the axolotls are in the tank) as temperature changes can shock axolotls.

Lastly - are they pooping at all?

Kaini

Reaction score
Ensure you're using the right amount of dechlorinator (can you elaborate on reptisafe, I've never heard of it - what does it claim to do?)

Dropping in - Reptisafe is what I use in my lotl tank, I heard from a breeder it was fine. Actually curious if that's true or not - I can easily switch to using API stress coat.

It's meant for terrarium water bowls (amphibians, hermit crabs, snakes) etc.

Reading off the bottle -

-instantly removes chlorine and chloramines
- removes (I assume that actually means detoxifies - No3 to No4) ammonia and helps prevent it's accumulation
- adds essential electrolytes
-aids in rehydrating new arrivals
-stimulates slime coat development providing a natural protective barrier for all types of amphibians
-reduces PH

So there you go.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Dropping in - Reptisafe is what I use in my lotl tank, I heard from a breeder it was fine. Actually curious if that's true or not - I can easily switch to using API stress coat.

It's meant for terrarium water bowls (amphibians, hermit crabs, snakes) etc.

Reading off the bottle -

-instantly removes chlorine and chloramines
- removes (I assume that actually means detoxifies - No3 to No4) ammonia and helps prevent it's accumulation
- adds essential electrolytes
-aids in rehydrating new arrivals
-stimulates slime coat development providing a natural protective barrier for all types of amphibians
-reduces PH

So there you go.

I've never heard of it here. Out if curiosity are there any better options to use to treat aquarium water since that treats drinking water? Like that one specifies making water drinkable. I'm sure they do the same thing and wouldn't affect them but I would prefer an actual aquarium dechlorinator. Also axolotls like higher pH, so it could affect their water preference.

Swampie

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies

Typically they're together in a full 10g, I moved them into a plastic tub to be able to do quick water changes.

I make sure to put enough decholrinator (reptisafe) in the water jug that im using to fill the tank for each jug. Then pour it in. This is something that I already had on hand since I keep other Reptiles, and asked the breeder if it was okay. What would you recommend? Is Stress Coat a better option?

I've had them since about November I would say. I kept them for about 2 months without a filter, and with a lower water level. When they got larger I decided that a smaller filter with baffles would be better to keep the tank clean. I also filled the tank up to about 2" from the top at that point.

The day that we tried to feed them, before the floating started, there were some REALLY big poops in the tank. I mean so big that I remember them, so you know they were pretty good size. They haven't pooped in 2 days.

How do you go about feeding them earthworms? Whole, or cut in half? They are not big enough to be able to eat a whole one.

Do you recommend separating them? They've never shown alot of aggression toward one another, so I never thought about it being an issue. They're pretty inactive right now, so they have plenty of room. They are in the largest plastic tub that you can get in the kitchen/food section of the store. It has more surface area than a plastic shoe box.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies

Typically they're together in a full 10g, I moved them into a plastic tub to be able to do quick water changes.

I make sure to put enough decholrinator (reptisafe) in the water jug that im using to fill the tank for each jug. Then pour it in. This is something that I already had on hand since I keep other Reptiles, and asked the breeder if it was okay. What would you recommend? Is Stress Coat a better option?

I've had them since about November I would say. I kept them for about 2 months without a filter, and with a lower water level. When they got larger I decided that a smaller filter with baffles would be better to keep the tank clean. I also filled the tank up to about 2" from the top at that point.

The day that we tried to feed them, before the floating started, there were some REALLY big poops in the tank. I mean so big that I remember them, so you know they were pretty good size. They haven't pooped in 2 days.

How do you go about feeding them earthworms? Whole, or cut in half? They are not big enough to be able to eat a whole one.

Do you recommend separating them? They've never shown alot of aggression toward one another, so I never thought about it being an issue. They're pretty inactive right now, so they have plenty of room. They are in the largest plastic tub that you can get in the kitchen/food section of the store. It has more surface area than a plastic shoe box.

I would bump them up to the 20g as soon as possible. 10 is just too small especially getting bigger.

I've never used reptisafe, not sure what it's like. I've never had problems with prime, others have used stress coat that works well.

With the filter it needs to run 4 times the amount of your tank for it to work effeciently (of course the flow needs to be gentle).

Was their poop a normal consistency? My axolotl floated constantly even though she popped but they were rock hard. What is their weight like, also?

You can buy different sized but setting up a worm farm (check out auntiejudes post in general discussions) will be your best option. If they're unable to take it, cut it to a suitable length. I've been feeding my babies (they started at about 2") earthworms cut up into tiny pieces.

If one axolotl is improving, I would separate just to avoid illness/stress. Also it's good to monitor whose eating and pooping.

Swampie

Reaction score
2vu0fhs.jpg

2m3od34.jpg

Swampie

Reaction score
I've purchased a 20g L but was afraid of putting them in it and adding more stress. They're not too bad looking in the pics, but I can really tell the difference in behavior, and especially the Leucistics coloration, he's not a pretty pink but more dull.

The filter I have is a 10i-30i Whisper Internal filter.

Their poops were pretty normal, they were kinda mealy I guess like usual. Just really large.

Is this inability to stay upright going to be a permanent thing? They don't look bloated, but do look thinner.

Separating them makes sense. It was more of a like "oh **** now the pink ones doing it too! I gotta get him outta there" situation.

Also, I had some of those moss balls floating in there with them, made by Fluval, that are supposed to absorb ammonia?

Last edited:

HayleyK

Reaction score
I've purchased a 20g L but was afraid of putting them in it and adding more stress. They're not too bad looking in the pics, but I can really tell the difference in behavior, and especially the Leucistics coloration, he's not a pretty pink but more dull.

The filter I have is a 10i-30i Whisper Internal filter.

Their poops were pretty normal, they were kinda mealy I guess like usual. Just really large.

Is this inability to stay upright going to be a permanent thing? They don't look bloated, but do look thinner.

Separating them makes sense. It was more of a like "oh **** now the pink ones doing it too! I gotta get him outta there" situation.

Also, I had some of those moss balls floating in there with them, made by Fluval, that are supposed to absorb ammonia?

Of course - add them into the 20 when they're better (I just assumed you had it sitting there for a while).

I would keep them in their tubs for now, just monitor their eating and pooping as well as water readings. Also try to get their weight up they look on the slim side. Their body should be as wide as their heads :)

The floating on the side is strange, but usual floating here and there (if they're straight) isn't a problem some axies like to float and if they have no trouble getting to the bottom of the tank I wouldn't worry so much.

Plants do help with the nitrogen cycle but you still need to regularly check water readings especially since there's two in a small tank (more waste/less water) and feeding bloodworms are messy, and causes fouling of the water.

I forgot to ask - are there pebbles, gravel etc in the tank they can swallow? Even feeding off the ground looking for bloodworms on sand can cause impaction.

Swampie

Reaction score
No, I have a bare bottom tank, with larger sized rocks scattered (nothing they could fit in their mouths).

The Wild Type was doing an "alligator death roll" when I was trying to scoop him up. I was very concerned about that.

They have slimmed considerably in the past few days. I will try earth worms. Is this something I can buy at a pet store, or will I need to go to a bait shop? Im sure there are instructions on how to clean them before I get them ready for eating.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Try a pet store, or your local greenhouse. You can also get then from your garden as long as you don't use chemicals or pesticides. Run under the tap to rinse off the dirt and dinner is served :D. If they aren't used to squirming movements they can occassionally spit it out. Try blanching the worm under hot water for few seconds the run under cold water.

If the wildtypes condition doesn't improve I would fridge him, and search for a vet. The fridge will slow down his metabolism and slow down weightloss.

Swampie

Reaction score
Thank you so much for helping out! I will go get another tub tomorrow. Is it still okay to give the bloodworms as a treat? I have a whole card left and would hate for them to go to waste.

I will try to keep yall updated on their condition.

Oh yeah, btw. What temp is okay for fridging? Is there such a thing as too cold?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Just a theory might be that they both slowed down their metabolic rate due to some reason (change of seasons, temperature, lighting) however the 20g would due them wonders and they might 'wake up' and act lively again :)

HayleyK

Reaction score
Thank you so much for helping out! I will go get another tub tomorrow. Is it still okay to give the bloodworms as a treat? I have a whole card left and would hate for them to go to waste.

I will try to keep yall updated on their condition.

Oh yeah, btw. What temp is okay for fridging? Is there such a thing as too cold?

Yeah they're fine for them to eat, it's just super messy and earthworms are more nutritious for bigger axolotls :)

Temperatures between 5-8 degrees Celsius is good.. No lower but higher is okay. Check out the fridging sticky. I would see if his behavior improves before the fridging option.

Keep us updated :)

Swampie

Reaction score
Just a theory might be that they both slowed down their metabolic rate due to some reason (change of seasons, temperature, lighting) however the 20g would due them wonders and they might 'wake up' and act lively again :)

I was thinking the same thing, before the crazy behavior change. They WERE slowing down on eating. Of course the temperatures here have been anywhere from 8F-70F in the past 3 weeks. I know it throws other animals off of food for the temps to change so drastically, wasn't sure about them because the water would take a longer time to adjust than the air.

I do have the 20 filled about 1/3 of the way up, haven't put the filter or hides in there yet. I thought it would do one of 2 things if I swapped them. One, stress them out further or, two, allow them to perk back up.

Curiously, other than the floating the Wild Type has shown significant improvement, while the Leucistic is the one I'm most worried about.

HayleyK

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, before the crazy behavior change. They WERE slowing down on eating. Of course the temperatures here have been anywhere from 8F-70F in the past 3 weeks. I know it throws other animals off of food for the temps to change so drastically, wasn't sure about them because the water would take a longer time to adjust than the air.

I do have the 20 filled about 1/3 of the way up, haven't put the filter or hides in there yet. I thought it would do one of 2 things if I swapped them. One, stress them out further or, two, allow them to perk back up.

Curiously, other than the floating the Wild Type has shown significant improvement, while the Leucistic is the one I'm most worried about.

With fluctuations like that that could be the answer but I thought you said the tanks 64F.

Have you cycled your 20?

What behavior is the leucistic displaying?

Swampie

Reaction score
thats what temp it was reading on Wednesday, it was about 23F that day. The tank is far away from windows, so theres hardly any fluctuation in the house with central heat/air.

The house stays around 70 and the tank stays cooler than that.

The leucistics color has become more dull, and I can see its veins. It has no interest in eating and is not as active as he was before. He's also shedding gills.

The 20 hasn't been cycled, but could easily be done. The filter I have has mechanical and biological filtration, so I could stick it in there and the cage decor from the previous tank and let it get to work while they're in isolation.

HayleyK

Reaction score
thats what temp it was reading on Wednesday, it was about 23F that day. The tank is far away from windows, so theres hardly any fluctuation in the house with central heat/air.

The house stays around 70 and the tank stays cooler than that.

The leucistics color has become more dull, and I can see its veins. It has no interest in eating and is not as active as he was before. He's also shedding gills.

The 20 hasn't been cycled, but could easily be done. The filter I have has mechanical and biological filtration, so I could stick it in there and the cage decor from the previous tank and let it get to work while they're in isolation.

Dullness can be a sign of inactive-ness or sleep due to the slowing down of circulation. However noticing red veins and shedding of gills could be a sign of chemical burn but she doesn't look burnt. I'm at a loss, just keep her in clean cool water, offer worms and see what happens. Goodluck :)

P.s they're both super cute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1