New hatchling!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
I have my first hatchling from my albino's eggs! It's possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen in my life (other than husky puppies).
It's white with a few yellow markings on it's head, but it's tiny (7mm). I can't see the eyes, so I'm guessing golden albino.

I could be wrong though - when do white albino egg babies take on colour? Dad is wildtype, I'm expecting 50/50 wild and albino babies as I know dad is A/a.

Photo attached - you can just make out the yellow.

Attachments

• snow white.jpg
    snow white.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 225
Eeeeeeeeeeeee it's so tiny!! Very cute :D I hope one day I can breed and raise eggs, if it's not too time consuming...

As for your question - I don't know the answer, I'm just baffled auntiejude is asking a question!! :lol:

As for your question - I don't know the answer, I'm just baffled auntiejude is asking a question!! :lol:

As a teacher myself I know that no-one ever stops learning!
I am not an expert - I might have read a lot, researched a lot, and got my head around a lot of stuff - but I'm not afraid of asking questions when I need to.

How do you find the time to raise babies if you're a teacher?!

How do you find the time to raise babies if you're a teacher?!
I'm not a schoolteacher (kids - ugh!), I teach vocational skills to adults. And I'm currently 'between jobs' (hence being here 15 hours a day!).

Shoot, I'm so tired (not really), from 2 months of egg to juvies right now, I don't know how you manage one batch after the other.

My first batch of babies are now 4 months and 4-5 inches, they are in cycled tanks and no harder to care for than my adults. My new ones (there are 2 now!) are so tiny and in 200ml pots that feeding them and changing water takes very little time.
And its so much fun to watch them grow - hard work but enjoyable. ( and I keep telling myself that when its midnight and I've just finished changing gallons of water, have compost under my nails for harvesting worms and wrinkly skin for being wet half the evening!)

OK, I've managed to answer my own question!

White eggs from an albino mum still look white in the egg, but now I have 4 hatchlings I can see one of them has black eyes and some very faint grey markings down his back. I still can't see any colouring in the remaining eggs, but I'd say once they have hatched and you can see their eyes you can tell - at least to some extent. One of the albino babies has the most amazing little yellow freckles on it's head, I just can't get any pictures until hubby breaks out the pro-camera.

I may try and get some photos for reference so other people can see the development from white eggs to brown/black wildtype.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back