Big "Hello" from Neveda!

Meggersxoxo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

My name is Megan and I recently acquired 2 juvie axolotls. They are pretty beat up (the gold albino is missing ALL of his legs) and I'm hoping to get them to be big, healthy and beautiful axies. :D

I have to admit they are already an obsession for me....I would love to have one of each color variation lol (I know...there are actually a lot). For right now I just have I'm just going to learn and care for these two. One is a gold albino and the other is a wild type.

They are still pretty small so currently they are in a bare bottom ten gallon (they will be upgraded to a much larger vivarium once their legs regrow). They have some live plants and large smooth river rock in the tank for hiding. Tank is being kept at 73 degrees with light filtration.

Welcome Megan!

Yikes! How did they lose their legs? Anyone know if they will regrow? ( I know that gills will but legs? ).
Here is a great link for car info.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl

You may want to get the temperature down a bit, its a little too high. Yes, a bigger tank soon is going to be needed. Axies like lots of room ( don't we all :rolleyes: ) so the bigger the better, though it is not necessary to have a huge tank. How big/long are your axies do you know?
Any pictures of your axie that we could admire? :D

Welcome! -Seth

Thanks Seth =)

Yes Axolotls can regrow limbs (takes about a month with lots of TLC). They came to me with missing legs....they had been kept in a tank with LOTS of other axies and I'm guessing they were not all getting fed enough.

These guys are only about 4 inches from the tip of the nose to the tip of their tail. I would prefer their tank to be about 68 degrees but at the moment I don't have a chiller.

They are both doing very well...color is good, moderately active and great appetites. I've only had them a couple of days.

Thanks Seth =)

Yes Axolotls can regrow limbs (takes about a month with lots of TLC). They came to me with missing legs....they had been kept in a tank with LOTS of other axies and I'm guessing they were not all getting fed enough.

These guys are only about 4 inches from the tip of the nose to the tip of their tail. I would prefer their tank to be about 68 degrees but at the moment I don't have a chiller.

They are both doing very well...color is good, moderately active and great appetites. I've only had them a couple of days.

Ok, nice to know they can regrow them. So a 10 gallon for two 4 inch axies is fine for now.
I think you'll make a great axie owner! -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back