Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Egg disaster!!!

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
I was at work today and finally got home around 10-ish. I decide to look at my axolotl eggs and my sister wants to see so i say of course. By now I only have 7 eggs alive and well out of my 12 and they seem to be doing very well with gills formed and I can already see their eyes. Well what happened was the table they are resting on is sensitive to floor vibrations and she rests on the table. All of a sudden I hear this splashing noise and the container the eggs are in are on the ground knocked over!! I race to scoop them up but of the 7, one is mia and cannot be found, One is slightly deformed and hasnt developed gills thus far,3 are looking okay but 2 have come out of their egg shell!! They are 10 days old now and were kept at 18 degrees. How is this tragedy going to affect my eggs? What is likely to happen to the two babies outside their shell at this age? I am so worried, please let me know!

P.S, sorry for the long winded post :(

auntiejude

Reaction score
Ok, if they have gills they stand a good chance. How long since the eggs were laid?
I artificially hatched 2 in my first batch 2 days early when I siphoned them up - they were fine.

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Here are some pictures I took of the remaining eggs about 30 minutes ago. One of the babies that came out of their egg shell last night has curled up on itself and I believe it's dead and the other one that came out seems to be doing ok, it will swim away if I put the turkey baster in. The others are still ok and don't seem to be affected.
P.S, all the eggs look like melanoids from what I can tell except the one who came out of its shell. What type does it look like? The mum of the babies is a melanoid, and the dad is a wildtype.

Attachments

• DSCF9563.jpg
    DSCF9563.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCF9570.jpg
    DSCF9570.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 170

auntiejude

Reaction score
I think the accidentally hatched baby stands a good chance, the rest of the eggs will be fine (they are tough little things!)

Babies very rarely show iridophores, but you can easily see melanophores and xanthaphores. Even though they look like melanoids they may be wilds = you won't know for a few weeks yet.

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
I think the accidentally hatched baby stands a good chance, the rest of the eggs will be fine (they are tough little things!).

Does he need to eat if he is out of his shell? The egg shell is still in the little container just in case but how would this affect his eating?

auntiejude

Reaction score
You can offer BBS at 24 hours old, he'll eat if he wants, but he may still be absorbing his yolk. Remove the shell, it could affect the water quality as it disintegrates.

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
You can offer BBS at 24 hours old, he'll eat if he wants, but he may still be absorbing his yolk. Remove the shell, it could affect the water quality as it disintegrates.

Ok thanks, I'll remove the shell! I ordered bbs eggs online on the 21st and they were shipped on the 25th but the weather has been bad here so it may take a while to arrive. I hope for his sake he is still absorbing his egg yolk. I only have 4 viable eggs including the non-shelled guy left. How do you tell when they are close to hatching?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!