Axolotl Pamphlet

Umber

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wondering if anyone has ever made a comprehensive pamplet for axolotl care with signs of a distressed axolotl?

I ask because there is this petstore that keeps getting axolotls, not sure if they are actually selling them or if they are dying, that they keep in 80 degree water and sometimes with fish or axolotls of two different sizes that shouldnt be together. I have notified the main person who runs their fish section and he just looked the other way. I doubt the manager would do anything about it since its an old mom and pop shop that has degraded in quality over the years.

I want to give them a pamphlet that tells them what they need to know, I even want to give one to the manager to make sure he get it too so he knows the terrible conditions that his staff is keeping them in with juuuust a little hope that he may make them fix the conditions.

Today I went in there and they had an albino axolotl, only 1.5" long who was floating at the top and had waves in his tail. He was in with a wildtype axolotl who was 3.5" long who could do some bad damage to the albino. On top of this they were in with a bunch of desert goby fish. Oh and they've only had them since Jan 23rd so barely 5 days to allow the stress of 80 degrees to do more serious problems like fungal infections.

Anyone with a pamphlet that I could print or they could mail me would be greatly appreciated.
I've boycotted this store, as well as a few other friends of mine, for now until this is fixed. I probably wont shop there even after they fix things because I sorta want this store to go under overall because of the conditions they keep a lot of things in.

Surely at 1.5 inches it is barely more than a tadpole? Did it have its back legs grown? :(

Why not just keep boycotting the store, or walk up to the manager and explain to him what is going wrong and that you'll report him if it doesn't change? I don't understand the need for a pamphlet... You could also make your own, all you need is a printer.

Most good breeders produce their own caresheet. If the LFS doesn't have one they probably get them wholesale from a 'farm' rather than a caring breeder.
When my axies go to the LFS I send a care sheet with all the info a new owner needs, including date of hatching, food, environment, illness etc. And I make contact with the LFS regularly to check.
All you can do is take some info gtrhered from the info here to your LFS and ask them to consider changing their care of axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back