Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cloaca swollen or is he a boy or both? Feeding tips, too.

arsn9lea

Reaction score
The subject asks the question.

We bought our first axis a couple of weeks ago, so we're not sure what's normal. Last week, the cloaca seemed very swollen and he was floating and walking with the rear end up. It was fridged for a few days, had an ”explosion", and was returned to the tank. I think the cloaca is much less swollen. The rear end up floating seems to have ended and it doesn't seem like it has any trouble staying on the bottom or getting around. Still, I will find it floating on the surface (upright) and floating suspended mid tank or even resting in odd positions on stuff, almost like it's planking.

Is this normal behavior or cause for concern? Can anyone judge whether the cloaca appears normal or what gender it is? I have attached two photos. It is 8 to 9" long and the toe tips are white.

Lastly, I'm not sure whether I am feeding it a good amount. I do an occasional shrimp pellet and I am also giving it about 1/4 of a Canadian Crawler a day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_211920.jpg
    IMG_20140126_211920.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_20140126_211122.jpg
    IMG_20140126_211122.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 367

Boomsloth

Reaction score
It looks like a male. Make sure the temp in the tank is under 75F preferably 65F. As for the diet, yours is pretty much an adult and you should be feeding it earthworms every few days instead of the shrimp pellet every day (can cause digestive issues sometimes) basically feed him until he stops eating and then you should get an idea of how much to feed him every few days.

Kaini

Reaction score
Slight correction, axies should preferably be kept in the 60-64 degree range (Fahrenheit, 16-18 Celsius)

You also shouldn't rush to fridge your Axolotl, as fridging for just a couple of days can just cause stress.

About the odd positions/planking, axies just like to do that! They're rather silly. My little juvenile just likes to 'plank' on top of his thermometer despite there being plenty of wider perches in the tank. Just what they like to do I guess.

HayleyK

Reaction score
It definitely looks like a male. Can you describe "explosion", I don't understand lol.

If he's got the floaty bum syndrome it indicates gas build up or constipation, nothing too sinister. If it continues for a few days consecutively then fridge.

As for the floating - some love floating! Give him some plants to float on too, my one loves hanging in the plants. If they can get to the bottom and stay there I wouldn't worry.

As for feeding, earthworms are the best and pellets are good to. The amount of feeding depends on each axolotl, as long as their body is as wide as their head, they're healthy and continue feeding every 2-3 days. If it's thinner, feed more and more often until a healthy weight. For example my wild type eats 3 worms every 2 days, my leucistic ate 1 every 2 days and stayed plump.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yep, all sounds normal to me.
I find pellets cause my axies constpation, worms are much better. You might find more food less often works too.
And it's a boy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1