Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very sick salamander-should I force feed???

Starry

Reaction score
Around Christmas time a meal worm got left in my salamander's tank while I was on holidays. The worm turned into a beetle and ate 3 of the toes off his back foot. I was horrifed to come home and see him like that, he would spasm when I rinsed the coconut fiber off of him and thrash around. He always has had a great appetite even despite past illnesses but he has not eaten a single thing since the very start of January. He is now appearing to become septic with a reddish tinge to his skin as well as some back spots and is excessively shedding little scraps (not a healthy shed as usual). I scrubbed his tank and now he is just on damp paper towels with his water bowl and cave to hide under.
The vet I used to work with recommended the following:
5-10 minutes once a day in dilute betadine/water bath
1 drop metacam once a day by mouth
0.1mls Baytril by mouth twice a day for 2 weeks
Force feed Carnivore Care

I tried to force feed him tonight as well as give him his meds and as careful as I was I still hurt his mouth as he had it clamped tight and when I tried to get the tip of the teat canula in, it must have caused a lot of pain since he suddenly opened up his mouth and turned his head to the side. It made me want to cry since I have never hurt him or had to be forceful to him in any way. I feel like a giant mean bully.
Does anyone have any tips? I have read a few articles on here suggesting that force feeding can do more harm than good but I am worried that without his meds he will become more septic and die. Please help!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1