Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Another Axie Not Eating

ThickAsaBrick

Reaction score
Our largest Axolotl (about 8 months old and around 7 inches) nearly stopped eating a couple weeks ago. For multiple days he would eat the first thing given to him then refuse to take anything else. We mix cut earthworm, live blackworms, and pellets. We finally took him to the vet and found he is slightly impacted (imgur: the simple image sharer). We think this must be sand he ate. We (http://imgur.com/a/FBgTL) did fridge him and he had a huge poop with some sand in it so we un-fridged him. Maybe that was too soon?

He has stayed in a separate tub with 100% changes morning and evening for another week but he is still eating very little, only three blackworms yesterday and 2 (3/4") earthworm pieces this morning. He is moving slower than normal and we are still very worried. Is there something that Axolotls love to eat that I might offer as a treat? Would pieces of raw shrimp be acceptable?

We don't know what to do and welcome any input you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
he is probably still recovering a bit and will be a bit sluggish until he gets his strength up. remember he hasn't eaten for a while so he probably went into some type of survival mode slowing down his metabolism. Give him a few days and keep trying to feed him until its back to normal.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sounds like he 's recovering - he'll get his appetite back in a day or 2 once he warms up and gets over the whole fridge and mega-poop thing.

ThickAsaBrick

Reaction score
I stopped after work to buy some raw shrimp. Feynman was initially fed brine shrimp when we first bought him and has devoured ghost shrimp the two times he had an opportunity. I had no luck finding raw shrimp so I bought 2 raw scallops. I sliced a couple long slivers from one and decided to try my luck. He walked slowly to it smelled it then charged forward and slurped it up. I gave him three pieces which is more than he's eaten in two weeks.

I am so relieved that he ate well and maybe more relieved that we ate eagerly. I doubt scallop provides all the nutrition he needs but I figure its similar to shellfish that he might eat in the wild and right now I'm happy to see him eating. Thank you for the advice. Hopefully he'll warm up to earthworm again soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1