Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Size of Tank for eggs

lrocheller

Reaction score
I am getting eggs in the mail this week. I have a tank set up with water dogs and one with cichlids. Should I use water from one of these tanks for eggs or just chlorinate water and use it?
Another question is I am getting around 60 eggs, is a 10 gallon tank to big to start with? I have 2 one gallon tanks, a five and a ten. Which one is the best to use at the beginning?

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
Usually when you raise axolotl's from eggs you start them on baby brine shrimp. Because the BBS live in salt water and your axies don't they die only a few hours after being put into fresh water. This means that you have to change the water for the axies every day at least once. Some people feed twice a day, so water changes are also twice a day. I would say that until they are large enough to go into a regular tank I would keep them in the 1 gallon with treated water because you will be changing it so frequently.

Once mine were large enough to grow legs I put them in a 20 long with sand and a pair of feeding jars. Before that they were in a pair of mixing bowls with an airstone.

I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in with more information for you, but this can be a place to start.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!