Illness/Sickness: Prolapsed female, fridged her and calling vet first thing in the morning. Could strain from laying eggs have caused this?

slothzy

Reaction score
Country
United States
She just laid eggs today. She's laid eggs before with no problem. As soon as I noticed the light pink fleshy bubble with veins I removed her from the tank and put her in a container with clean water. I read up and decided to fridge her until I can call my vet in the morning. I'm going to replace the water in the morning with clean water.

I have very fine sand in the tank. She eats from a bowl in the sand so she doesn't ingest any sand. Could laying eggs have caused this? I'm hoping beyond hope that the prolapse has gone down by tomorrow morning but I'm taking her to a vet tomorrow morning regardless as know it can occur again.

Anything else I should be doing / did wrong?

A photo would be really useful.
Has she finished laying? Some females take 48 hours to finish, and their cloaca is swillen while they lay. Are you sure its a prolapse not just a swollen cloaca? The fridge is no necessary, in fact if she hasn't finished laying it could be causing more problems.

A photo would be really useful.
Has she finished laying? Some females take 48 hours to finish, and their cloaca is swillen while they lay. Are you sure its a prolapse not just a swollen cloaca? The fridge is no necessary, in fact if she hasn't finished laying it could be causing more problems.

http://i.imgur.com/iXh8et5.jpg

This is the best I could get. It's a sizable air filled (at last looks air filled) bubble. Its not just a swollen cloaca. I am afraid if I leave her in the tank she will pop the prolapse on something or my male will.
There were eggs stuck to it at the time of this pic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would isolate her until you get her to the vet.

You're right, that looks like a prolapse. May or may not be from eggs though.
She needs to see a vet, and she needs to be kept safe/isolated until she does. I would not fridge her though, I don't think it is necessary in this case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back