FYI: Axolotls possibly extinct (in the wild)

NexSocius

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Nex Socius
I come across this article today, posted in an Axolotl group on Facebook.
Sadly, the time may have come that they are now extinct from their wild habitat.
While I don't take all things posted online for real, this is a major concern and I have been watching it for some time. :cry:

Axolotl, Mexico's 'Water Monster,' May Have Disappeared

Re: Axolotl's possibly extinct

:'( that is very sad... I would like to hope that they still have a chance but not looking good :(

poor axies :(
i can't believe the article called them ugly :(
at least they r very common in culture

Yeah. I saw that too. It would be a very sad day if they are indeed no longer present in their natural environment. Amphibians are a bellwether species and their global decline is worrisome. Axolotls are especially important for their unique properties and their presence in labs and home aquaria is simply not enough.

I don't know what upsets me the most... Whether they're extinct or someone described them as ugly. :(

I too, saw this, they had the nerve to call them "monsters" . I am I wrong about them not being the same as a water dog, I always thought a water dog ws something very different. :happy:

Aw, this is terrible news. I saw a documentary posted here a while ago where some researchers looked for three days straight and only found one. I was hoping they would still have some presence but things look bad for our wild cute little axolotl friends. I'm also angry they called them ugly, they're really funny cute knobby things.

That article is worded so rudely to me xD calling them ugly and insinuating all Axolotls kept in captivity are abused. Its sad they haven't found any in the wild, but with how extensively they're bred in captivity I'm not all that concerned for their species.

I've heard that in order to be able to start a healthy population that scientists can figure out how many genetically unique individuals are necessary, i forgot the species they used but it was 160 individuals. A lot of the axolotls in captivity descended from very inbred lineages, especially when it comes to color morphs. I still hope that there's a few wild ones wandering around the bottom.

They are beautiful creatures, and I was highly offended at them being called ugly, and the reference about improper breeding etc.
When you think about it, we are all helping them to stay in existence, and giving them happy lives. I just hope people continue to research them and provide proper care, to prevent a real extinction.
:animal:

Re: Axolotls possibly extinct

So sad.
Lots of people think they are ugly, though. One of my friends who has taken some of my baby axxies is calling one Marmite - because she says axolotls divide opinion between nice or nasty in the same way! ;)

Funnily enough, I just came on here to post the same article, but in a different paper.

Mexican 'water monster' on brink of extinction - World - NZ Herald News

I'm disappointed that the axie is on small stones, they called him ugly, and of course, sadden that they have become increasingly rarer in the wild.

This is sad news. Fortunately they aren't calling it yet and I'd like to hear some more information about the conservation efforts that were shown in the documentary that shows the axolotl natural habitat.

On a different note, I also find it curious that the Herald reposted the article posted a day before for a different news group with no credit toward the original author. They even signed it like it's their own work unless AP is suppose to mean something that I'm not understanding?

The one I read today said they were " salamander-like". I was like - last time I checked they WERE salamanders. That was one of the most annoying things to me!:mad:

All these comments are essentially my feelings about this article. First of all, there was another lesser publicized article about this a few months ago, so I'm not surprised. I am VERY offended that they call them ugly or "salamander-like." My HUGE pet peeve is when I tell someone about my axolotls and they're like "Hey, aren't they kind of like salamanders? Can't they turn INTO salamanders??"

THEY ARE SALAMANDERS AHG WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

A lack of education. Learn 'em good!

AP is the Associated Press. It's likely this article was written by a lowly staffer and submitted to the pool, to be signed AP.

I can't help but feel the Mexican government has failed them as West African government failed their Lions.

Here's to hoping some eccentric billionaire decides to by a few dozen hectares to be dug into lakes and fenced off for a sanctuary.

All these comments are essentially my feelings about this article. First of all, there was another lesser publicized article about this a few months ago, so I'm not surprised. I am VERY offended that they call them ugly or "salamander-like." My HUGE pet peeve is when I tell someone about my axolotls and they're like "Hey, aren't they kind of like salamanders? Can't they turn INTO salamanders??"

THEY ARE SALAMANDERS AHG WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Agree, plus another peeve is people calling them fish. FISH DON'T HAVE LEGS!

They are so cute haha! The yellow one looks like a pom pom with legs ;D

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back