Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl bleeding when feeding

selfster88

Reaction score
My axie, Wesley, is bleeding from his gills on the left side when he eats. It's not a shocking amount of blood and he does not seem at all to be in any distress but obviously it's a bit worrying that it's happening at all. He's not off his food - in fact he's as greedy as ever but I would like to get this sorted out for him so that he's as happy as he can be.

He's in a tank with sand substrate - nothing sharp, and the last tank change but one I changed the chemicals I use in his tank water and I was really worried that was what was causing the problems - I've stopped using the new stuff altogether but I'm not even sure that was causing the problem in the first place.

I would really appreciate any help you can offer - he's my first axie and I've only had him about 4 months so I'm a bit of a newbie!

Kaini

Reaction score
What are you feeding him ^ and what chemicals are you talking about? Some chemicals used with fish can be toxic to Axolotls.

EmbryH

Reaction score
What do you feed him, but also how do you feed him? If he's on sand, you either need to be hand feeding him, feeding him in a separate container with no substrate, or using a feeding jar.

Is it possible that he consumes sand with his meal, and it causes him to bleed?

selfster88

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies -

I'm hand feeding him on frozen bloodworms - which is what he's always been fed (give or take the odd worm or chicken liver). He swims right up to the top to take his food so I don't think he is taking in sand with it.

The chemicals in the tank water are now just Tetra Aquasafe (to bind the chlorine) but I tried a different brand (love fish) Tapsafe, Ammonia Remover and Filter Boost. None of the ingredients were listed online as toxic to axolotls but I guess axies are quite niche so there's a chance that these products could have been missed off. I've gone back to just using the Tetra Aquasafe as I know he is OK with that.

Last edited:

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I am just taking a guess and looking at all options first but does it look like this?
puqa5u4e.jpg

Sorry its the best picture i have that shows bloodworms coming out from behind their gills. Just because you mentioned how its only when he eats.

If this is not the case then a picture if possible would be helpful and maybe some more information about your tank. Ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph of the tank as well as any potential tank mates. Anything sharp in the tank. Etc as much information as possible about the living conditions

snuggly time

Reaction score
What are your tank parameters?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph
Temperature

If the tank is cycling the ammonia remover probably won't be helping.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
I am just taking a guess and looking at all options first but does it look like this?
puqa5u4e.jpg

That's what happened to Saskia the other day! She had like two blood worms hanging from the gills on one side and another blood worm hanging from the other side. I told her "Saskia! Suck that up...it's disgusting!"

I'm assuming they do this when they take too much food into their mouths. She decided it would be fun to eat a huge chunk of blood worms in one bite.

jason3xs

Reaction score
If they're bloodworms i think it's from it. I feed mine bloodworms often and it seems like he's bleeding from his gills but it's the worms

Angi

Reaction score
puqa5u4e.jpg

That's what happened to Saskia the other day! She had like two blood worms hanging from the gills on one side and another blood worm hanging from the other side. I told her "Saskia! Suck that up...it's disgusting!"

I'm assuming they do this when they take too much food into their mouths. She decided it would be fun to eat a huge chunk of blood worms in one bite.
You think that's disgusting, I watched a whole canadian nightcrawler come out of the side of my guy's face... CREEPY :eek:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Fret not :) That part of their anatomy (beneath the gills and under the jaw) is actually open. Sometimes food items fall out of there, particularly if the axolotl is eating a lot. Although I do admit it's freaky and did scare the pants off me at first >.< Just keep an eye on the area, it's probably fine though.

selfster88

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I couldn't get a video of him feeding as it is too dim to get a decent vid and I don't like to light up his tank too much.

It was definitely blood, rather than just bloodworms - but whatever the problem was it seems to have sorted itself out thank God!

However he does seem to have gone off his food in the last few days - I've posted a new topic here if anyone could give me some advice or reassurance that this is not unusual behaviour I would really appreciate it: Complete disinterest in food.

Thanks again for all your help and advice - I am a real worry wart!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1