Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What in the world! Is this total length or snout to vent length? 2.2 inch Firebellys?

sde

Reaction score
So.

I was scanning CC and I was looking at the species lengths. I was shocked to find that it said that Cynops orientalis is apparently only 2.2 inches in length, but is that total length or snout to vent length? If it is total length I have had a VERY poor sampling of newt size! My T. granulosa are about 5 inches, and I thought they were about average sized newts. 2.2 inches smaller than my teeny tiny juvenile T. granulosa.

So what's going on here? its snout to vent length right?

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

Right?

Please be SVL, please be SVL, please be SVL..............
:p

Oh shoot! I forgot to ask about a few other things as well.

So on the temp range for the species, is it a strict temp range, or is there little 'cushioning' to them? ( i.e. can be kept in a little lower/higher temps than listed )

And it also doesn't say the temp rang for P. walti. it says that they cant go over 72 degrees but it doesn't say how low they can go ( and no, I am not trying to sound like the limbo song ).

-Seth

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's total length. Cynops (or Hypselotriton if you prefer) orientalis really is a rather small species. If you're looking for a good-sized "fire-bellied newt" species, Cynops pyrrhogaster and Cynops ensicauda get pretty big.

For the question on temp ranges, I think it would depend on the species. Maximum temperature is generally a bigger concern than minimum temperature; and some species are more sensitive than others.

As for minimum temps on Pleurodeles waltl, like I said above, minimum temps usually aren't a concern. Salamanders as a whole fill an ecological niche in cooler environments that lizards fill in warmer environments. I know of people who keep Pleurodele waltl, and regularly let their newt tanks freeze over in the winter. As long as the newt isn't completely encased in a solid block of ice, I think you're good.

sde

Reaction score
That's total length. Cynops (or Hypselotriton if you prefer) orientalis really is a rather small species. If you're looking for a good-sized "fire-bellied newt" species, Cynops pyrrhogaster and Cynops ensicauda get pretty big. :eek: That's so tiny!!! I cant believe it! I mean really, how small are the eggs than haha.

For the question on temp ranges, I think it would depend on the species. Maximum temperature is generally a bigger concern than minimum temperature; and some species are more sensitive than others.

As for minimum temps on Pleurodeles waltl, like I said above, minimum temps usually aren't a concern. Salamanders as a whole fill an ecological niche in cooler environments that lizards fill in warmer environments. I know of people who keep Pleurodele waltl, and regularly let their newt tanks freeze over in the winter. As long as the newt isn't completely encased in a solid block of ice, I think you're good.

:eek: That's so tiny!!! I cant believe it! I mean really, how small are the eggs than haha.

What! I have heard that you can do that with N. viridescenes, but I didn't know that that was true for other species as well! Great!
Is this true for other species as well, like T. verrucosus? If so, I really need to re-consider my next newt species!

I am so happy! Well, congrats on making my day! hahahaha...............

Reaction score
:eek: That's so tiny!!! I cant believe it! I mean really, how small are the eggs than haha.

What! I have heard that you can do that with N. viridescenes, but I didn't know that that was true for other species as well! Great!
Is this true for other species as well, like T. verrucosus? If so, I really need to re-consider my next newt species!

I am so happy! Well, congrats on making my day! hahahaha...............

I never had mine breed, so I can't tell you how small the eggs are, but I have kept both Hypselotriton orientalis and Taricha granulosa; and my granulosa could have easily swallowed the orientalis whole if given the chance.

As long as cover is provided in a terrestrial setup for Tylototriton verrucosus, I see no reason why they wouldn't survive down to freezing at least.

From talking with others who have bred a variety of caudate species, some species seem to require periods with temperatures close to or below freezing to stimulate breeding.

You're welcome :D

Reactions: sde

sde

Reaction score
I never had mine breed, so I can't tell you how small the eggs are, but I have kept both Hypselotriton orientalis and Taricha granulosa; and my granulosa could have easily swallowed the orientalis whole if given the chance.

As long as cover is provided in a terrestrial setup for Tylototriton verrucosus, I see no reason why they wouldn't survive down to freezing at least.

From talking with others who have bred a variety of caudate species, some species seem to require periods with temperatures close to or below freezing to stimulate breeding.

You're welcome :D

Really? Man, I am glad granulosa was my first newt!
Ok, so now I do really need to re-consider!
OK, so that's good to know because one of my tanks froze a bit in the winter, and so now that its warming up, maybe I will get some eggs!

Thanks again man, you have been a great help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1