Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Copper tx in new cycling axie tank

Kathy S

Reaction score
Howdy- I have a new 75G tank cycling to get axie juveniles for my husband: He moved some live plants from our kid's aquarium and tx them for ick with a copper- based product in the new, still empty cycling tank. It has a slate floor siliconed in place. What should I do to clean this tank, if anything, and start over the cycling before moving 3 inch juveniles into it? Sorry for the trouble and thank you in advance!

mizzerman

Reaction score
Clean it well, pretty sure anything with copper is toxic to amphibians!!

E

Elise

He moved some live plants from our kid's aquarium and tx them for ick with a copper- based product in the new, still empty cycling tank.

If you were to continue with only water changes and a minimal to moderate cleaning, then I would worry a remaining copper concentration could still be beyond the tolerance of your axolotls, making them ill or even causing death. The signs of heavy metal toxicity are often nonspecific and hard to diagnose, which compounds this problem.

A few complete rinses of your aquarium, substrate, decoration, filters, and plants would be needed for peace of mind. Another option would be to purchase a product advertised to absorb copper like Cupisorb by Seachem, along with a copper testing kit to monitor the progress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1