Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fridge em?

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
So recently both my Axies have been floating at the top of the tank, at first I thought they were dead, I prodded one and he just bobbed up and down, I did it again and then he shot down like an axolotl bullet and started acting normal, the other one did this as well. I tried the feed them like I always do but they both wouldn't take the worm. I've been trying to get them to eat but they've only eaten once.
Anyone one know what I should do? The temprature is 20 C but I've started using ice packs and I'm going to get an aquarium fan. I'm thinking of fringing them but I'm nervous because I've never done it before. But if it's the only option then I guess I'll do it.

HayleyK

Reaction score
If they can get down and stay down I wouldn't be too worried. Some just like to float :)

What are you feeding and how much? What are your other water parameters like?

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
All parameters are fine. I've been feeding them lobworms and the occasional waxworm, I've given them waxworms so they don't get too skinny if they don't eat much.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
That sounds like a fairly good diet, especially if the waxworms are only treats/weight builders. Some lotls do seem to float more than others - my female floats all the time, my male has never, ever floated. I remember reading it may even be a genetic thing.

Main reasons for floating are digestive problems such as wind or constipation, swallowing too much to fill their lungs, and temperature. Personally I wouldn't fridge unless there is a chance she swallowed something she shouldn't have, or unless she is floating constantly for more than a day - my girl floats nearly daily but only for a few minutes or so - or unless she appears to be distressed or in pain. It usually sorts itself out.

Hope this helps!

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Turns out my filter was a bit dodgy :eek:, I've got a new one though. They are still a bit funny with eating but they seem to be okay now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!