Is my axolotl constipated?

axle23

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there! My axolotl has not eaten in about a week now, he is a fully grown male and he normally has a large appetite. I feed him bloodworms, and he hasn't pooped in like, 7-10 days. His back end and legs are lifted off of the ground, and his belly is on the floor.
If he is constipated, what is the best course of action? Thank you.

As an adult he should be on earthworms. Fridging can help pass it but keep in mind it must be done for a few days, 100% daily water changes (make sure it's the same temperature as the fridge water). He will also not eat much in the fridge if at all.

Do you feed it in a jar or bowl? What subtrate are you using?

I feed him in a tank.
I've tried earthworms but he does not eat them, does feeding them bloodworms promote constipation then? Are you saying, then, fridging is what should be done?

Of course you feed him in the tank I meant a feeding bowl or jar, hand feeding etc because if he eats off the floor he ingests sand and gravel or whatever you have in the bottom. Bloodworms don't promote constipation it's just not as nutrious as earthworms and is very likely it will foul the water.

If he hasn't pooped in that long I would fridge, personally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back