Is a tank mate okay?

Axitaco

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hey guys, I have a male 28cm axi who is 2 and half years old. I've just got a new tank and would love another axi to join him. would it be okay to put another axi with him and if so under what conditions?

The axolotl should be about the same size, a few cm shorter won't matter too much.

If you're unsure about bullying or one is too small, use a tank divider for a week or so so they can see each other and not get a leg chomped off!

You will also need to quarantine the new axolotl for a few weeks.

How big is your tank?

Oh, thankyou very much, is there a reason why you need to quarantine the new axi?
The tank is 36' x 18' x 18', I hope this is big enough.

28 cm is pretty big! I'm sure any adult would do that's atleast over 20cm. The quarantine is just a precaution - the new guy might carry diseases and symptoms might develop after you get him. Wouldn't want to spread it in the same tank and affect your old axolotl!

36 inches? About 3 foot is fine for 3 axolotls, just as long as there's a foot each for them and plenty of hides. Also try feeding them at separate corners (when you finally introduce them to each other) to prevent food bullying/ nipping.

I know, he's a big boy, he just wouldn't stop growing.
Sounds good, I'll have to put in some new hiding places for the two of them, how exciting.
Thankyou so much, this was very helpful

Its recommended a foot per axie, then an extra foot for hides/filters ect, so in a three foot tank, you can house two axies :D

They should be a similar size to ensure no nipping can result in serious injury and id just move the tank decs around a bit before you add the new one so they are both in 'something new' and explore the tank.

I would recommend going through about a month or more of quarantine, then getting a divider and watching their behavior first/ let them get used to each others' smell. Also make sure to do frequent water changes after you add the new one in. You'll be doubling the bioload and the filter will need to catch up which might take ~week or more. The less stress on the axies will make them get along much better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back